Mac Mini or iMac as a small business server?

Reaction score
Hi, hope I have posted this is the right place but starting up a new small office and wanting to switch to Macs. Office will only be maximum around 7 people after a year (and will start with only 3 or 4 people). We will not be strong much data as we 99% use web based applications

The apple store is recommending we go for a IMAC 21.5/2.5QC/2X2GB/500GB/67 as the Server. I've been wondering about the Mac Mini Server instead. Trying to do something cost effective but don't want to underspeck the hardware and have to double up in the future.

Appreciate anyones thoughts on the choice

thanks in advance

Alan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
It all depends on what you want the server to perform, if its just for file storage then a NAS appliance would probably be OK(make sure its backed up). Need to know alot more before anyone can answer your question

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks bazanders

It all depends on what you want the server to perform, if its just for file storage then a NAS appliance would probably be OK(make sure its backed up). Need to know alot more before anyone can answer your question

It would just be network storage of shared documents, spreadsheets etc. Also want to be be able to centrally administer Apple Mail/iCal/Address book/wiki server etc. The Apple store are recommending a Time Capsule as the back up device either way.

Let me know if I can tell you more.

Thanks

Alan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
We use a Server Mini where I work. It hosts the Filemaker database and serves it to 10 computers. Haven't had any issues where an iMac would have made a better server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
For such taks a mac mini server would fit the bill perfect

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Do I need a dedicated monitor for the Mac Mini or can I administer it from an iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You can administer from another computer. That's what I do where I work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Thanks for all the replies. Do I need a dedicated monitor for the Mac Mini or can I administer it from an iMac?

While you dont need a dedicated monitor after it is set up, keep something on hand just in case you have to get hand's on with it.

I am using a Mini as a media server for iTunes and it has been great. I have it hooked up to a 27" HDTV but rarely use it there, I access it from my MBP. Now, I am not using Lion Server, but it does not matter for media anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I would go with the mac mini server personally due to the cost.

C

chas_m

From what you've written about your needs, even the Mac mini would be overkill. :)

I think in your situation I would recommend it. The current Mini is an amazingly powerful machine for the size and cost.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback

Feeling much more confident about using the Mac for the new office. Thanks again

Alan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.