• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple to build 200K 15-in. MacBook Pros in April, 400K 13-in. units in June

Reaction score
Apple to build 200K 15-in. MacBook Pros in April, 400K 13-in. units in June

Apple is gearing up to begin production of its new thinner and lighter MacBook Pros, with production of the new 15-inch model set to begin first in mid-April.
mf.gif

a2t.img

Read more

Reaction score
Twice as many 13 inchers... Perhaps it's a lack of imagination, but I can't fathom what a typical Mac professional would do on such a tiny screen.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The 13" MBP isn't tailored to professionals - it's designed for people like me who don't have professional obligations or want the Air. The 13" MBP is great for students or individuals who feel that the Air is lacking in horsepower but don't need a $2,000 notebook. I'm willing to be that I'm part of a fairly large population in that respect.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have to agree with Van. Keep in mind that the 13" MBP has greater portability and of course the price is more in line with what most folks consider affordable. Also if need be, you can always attach it to a large monitor which can be kept at home or in the office.

What I'm interested in is the performance of the newer Intel HD 4000 on board GPU. Anyone know anything about it?

Reaction score
Optical drive

I am sitting here on a 1 month old Macbook Pro 15 with Hi-res matte screen playing an audio CD I enjoy as I am using the notebook. It disappoints me that Apple is said to be eliminating the optical drive in the 15 MBP.

If that ends up being the case, I am glad I bought when I did...

Reaction score
I am sitting here on a 1 month old Macbook Pro 15 with Hi-res matte screen playing an audio CD I enjoy as I am using the notebook. It disappoints me that Apple is said to be eliminating the optical drive in the 15 MBP.

If that ends up being the case, I am glad I bought when I did...

Apparently many don't use music CDs regularly anymore. The disc drive in my MBP just sits there most of the time. If I found a music CD I missed transferring to iTunes, I could always plug in an external drive if I had a new MBP. Then that disc would never be needed again.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Twice as many 13 inchers... Perhaps it's a lack of imagination, but I can't fathom what a typical Mac professional would do on such a tiny screen.

While I was studying I was doing many "professional" level processes on a 13" MBP (mainly recording, mixing, editing music, but also a lot of graphical work and occasional video editing) - and I think in some ways it was perfect. You learn to use the space efficiently.

Now I'm using a 15", Ive adopted the habits I had when using the 13". Its a better workflow, in my opinion.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What's interesting about the rumor link chas posted is the statement about the new iMacs possibly being thinner and having no optical drive. I felt Apple was ready to abandon the optical drive in its portable machines, but the iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
Being that I just boight my machine (and am probably replacing it now because of a dent) It annoys me that a new one is already coming out. However, a lot of my music comes from CDs ( I transfer to iTunes) and I like the felxibility. The new GPU doesn't bug me too much because I don't really game. However I want to know how much better the new ivy bridge stuff will be. I saw they only mentioned the i7, does thaqt mean no more i5? Mine works well for me now and I'm happy I have what I have because even if I don't want to use the superdrive I can run a dual HDD setup. It not like the 13" Pro is a brick anyways

Reaction score
I saw they only mentioned the i7, does thaqt mean no more i5?

Without knowing for sure, I think it is pretty safe to say that Apple will maintain both configurations like they do today. As for the difference between i5 and i7, at least for the current high end desktop parts, the main difference is that i7 supports Hyper Threading (HT) which will yield a performance increase in software that is multi-threaded (like video encoding, which probably matters little to most 13" notebook users).

As for Ivy Bridge vs the current Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge will offer substantially better graphics performance, is best case scenarios up to a 60% increase (it is still inferior to a dedicated GPU though), marginally better CPU performance (around 10-15% better is to be expected in most cases) while being more energy efficient.

I hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
What's interesting about the rumor link chas posted is the statement about the new iMacs possibly being thinner and having no optical drive. I felt Apple was ready to abandon the optical drive in its portable machines, but the iMac?

Don't forget that the Mac mini ditched the optical drive last year. And as a machine geared toward home theater PC use, that was arguably the model most in need of an optical drive upgrade (to Blu Ray) if anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.26 8GB RAM 500GBhdd, iPhone 4, and iPad
I have to agree with Van. Keep in mind that the 13" MBP has greater portability and of course the price is more in line with what most folks consider affordable. Also if need be, you can always attach it to a large monitor which can be kept at home or in the office.

What I'm interested in is the performance of the newer Intel HD 4000 on board GPU. Anyone know anything about it?

Im no pro, but I play with all these programs a lot. Love my 13" macbook for on the go and for serious work I just plug into the 24" Apple display.

works great for me AND charges my laptop at the same time ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro

I would have agreed a few months ago when I had my 17" MBP. I totally disagree now that I have had my 13" MBA for a few weeks. I will never go back to the 17" again. I am however, very interested in seeing the new 15" even though I am fairly certain I will be sticking with the 13" MBA.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.