MagSafe adapter whines

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My older MagSafe adapter (spare that I bought new in 2008) has begun to emit a bit of a whining noise when charging. The noise persists even after its remove from the computer. After unplugging it from AC altogether, it gradually whines down until it goes away. I realize it's probably going bad, but what I'm concerned about is whether it's safe to use it. Any thoughts?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
As I am sure you know, they use a switching power supply. Seen some that whined like that eventually go BANG! :D I had a couple in towers spit fire out the back of the fan vents! If it does go, it could hurt the MBP. Might not, but just telling you what I have ran into in the past with repairing computers.

I had one 300 watt PS that did the fire out the back. Motherboard was blown, controller board on hard drive was blown, one optical drive no longer worked!

Not trying to scare you with all this. The whining usually is from the colis/transformers in those switching supplies. Had one do it and the main electrolytic cap was bulging out the top with juice coming out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I'd have to agree with Dennis. It's time to retire that power supply.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, that's what I figured. Bummer... I paid full price for that one. The one I bought used for at work from OWC is still chugging along two years later... and it's plugged in 24/7.

Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Mine was doing that and i called apple and they replaced it for free even out of warranty.You may want to call them.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine was doing that and i called apple and they replaced it for free even out of warranty.You may want to call them.

Well, this one was originally bought to use with my 2008 MBP. I just kept it and continued using it with the 2011 model, which is now out of warranty as well. I guess I could try, but I have a feeling they wouldn't give me the time of day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See signature
Take the power supply to Apple. Doesn't matter how old, if it's exhibiting unusual behavior they will replace it.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Take the power supply to Apple. Doesn't matter how old, if it's exhibiting unusual behavior they will replace it.

Unfortunately, it didn't work that way. I called in to ask about it and after sitting on hold for about 5 minutes or so, the guy transferred me to sales, where they offered me a replacement for $79. I wasn't expecting any miracles considering I've had this one since 2008, but I figured it never hurts to ask.

I'm going the OWC route for $49. The last one I bought from them was good as new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See signature
Unfortunately, it didn't work that way. I called in to ask about it and after sitting on hold for about 5 minutes or so, the guy transferred me to sales, where they offered me a replacement for $79. I wasn't expecting any miracles considering I've had this one since 2008, but I figured it never hurts to ask.

I'm going the OWC route for $49. The last one I bought from them was good as new.

Do it in person if you have an Apple Store near you. Tell them you think you saw sparks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.