ipod classic not synching or recognised in itunes

Reaction score
My ipod classic when connected to itunes is not recognised but iphone 4 - which is not connected - is shown as connected.
I lent ipod to my grandson and he formatted it and added films and tv shows on his window computer - this has caused the problem. In info it shows total capacity of 119.83gb with 16.5mb used ( I suspect this is a sort of partition for the menu items - which are still showing ) the format is described as ExFat32 - which I understand can be used with macs - I have an imac 24 inch with Lion installed - and this also shows as working with ExFat32. I have used Express Lane and they have not been able to help - just advised me to buy a new ipod - or take it into an Apple store who may be able to get it to sync.
Sorry for the long thread but would welcome any advice.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
You need to restore the ipod back into macintosh format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
All you have to do is press the restore button on a mac and it will restore it in a mac format for you.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi Rabbitjetta

Itunes does not recognise my ipod in the devices panel - so i do not have access to the restore function - is there some other way to do this.

Thanks for any further info.

OP
T
Reaction score
I have now resolved the problem and ipod is working fine. Itunes kept showing my iphone in devices when I connected ipod. So I deleted backup for iphone - still showed iphone when I connected ipod. But this morning connected ipod and it was recognised in itunes and it allowed me to restore.
Pity I could not have got this advice from Express Lane who suggested best option was to buy a new ipod.
Thanks to rabbitjetta for replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.