400 MHz PowerPC 750 G3 processor OSX plus More HElp NEEDED

I

IxSxKxO

I can purchase a 400 MHz PowerPC 750 G3 processor, 512 MB of PC100 SDRAM, a Large 20 GB Hard Drive, a Slot Loading CDROM drive, an ATI Rage Pro Turbo graphics controller & 8MB of video RAM, Built-in 15-inch display, Integrated Harman/Kardon sound and speakers, Built-in Microphone, 2 mini headphone jacks, analog audio input and output minijacks, Dual 12Mbps USB 1.0, Dual Firewire Ports, Integrated V.90 56K modem, Integrated 10/100 Ethernet ( Cable-DSL Ready ), Updated Pro Keybaord, Updated Pro Mouse and Power Cord. for a very good price.

I am have never owned a mac, but always wanted to own one of these imacs-im not too "in too" the new stuff right now because I am a beginner.

With these Specs

Can I handle mac osx?
Can i connect it to my network/router with no problems?
is this worth US $179?
For a lower price I can Get basically same imac but with 256 ram. but 40 gig haddrive. <<< ------ will this handle osx?

Thanks!

OP
B

Badger

For the first two questions: yes to each. For a good intro to running these iMacs with OS X: http://lowendmac.com/macdan/04/0910.html (There is a big gap in the middle of the article. Scroll down to find the end.) As for the price, it sounds about right for the RAM and HD. This model with factory RAM and HD sell for about $150.
Concerning the RAM issue, OS X is RAM hungry. The more RAM you have the better OS X likes it. 256 is a bare minimum, 512 is better. However, consider that a 20 gb hard disk is small by today's uses, especially if you get into music or video files. Personally, I'd go with the model with the 40 gb drive and add RAM.

OP
I

IxSxKxO

Thanks for the response

I do not think I will be needing more than 20gb because this will not be my primary computer. I have a very powerful PC right now. He has a couple of different imac combinations. These are the ones I am currently looking at right now.

US$159=750 G3 processor, 256 MB of PC100 SDRAM, a Large 20 GB Hard Drive,

or

US $179.00=This computer features a 400 MHz PowerPC 750 G3 processor, 512 MB of PC100 SDRAM, a Large 20 GB Hard Drive

ThoughtS: I probably do not need 512 ram for an older imac. It comes with os9+X. <<< - - - what does this mean? "+ X"? is os 9 good? Buying this computer will be more out of curiosity then for primary computer use. I will be using this computer for "basic" stuff but will be doing the more intense things on my Amd 64-3500. Tnx!

OP
B

Badger

It probably means that it comes with both OS 9 and X installed. Is OS 9 good? Well is Win 95 good? Every system has its own issues. As for RAM, 256 should be considered the absolute minimum for OS X. X uses virtual memory if it doesn't have enough RAM. That slows things down. (PS: The $20 for an extra 256mbs of RAM is the best price you'll ever see.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.