Migrating from Picasa to IPhoto - managing the file system questions.

Reaction score
Hi all

I have been using Picasa for years to quickly view over 100gb of OCD-sorted photos. I say OCD because I sort my photos in folders using "YYYYMMDD - Event Name" as the naming convention. this started when I was filing my photos on a pc previously and never truly switched to the Mac filing when I switched to a MacBook.

The main reason I want to convert to iPhoto is so I can truly enter the Mac ecosystem. I really want to AirPlay my photos from my laptop to the tv with my apple tv and sync via apple's cloud.

My fear converting to iPhoto is that all my files will be all over the place and I wouldn't be able to manually manage the photos. *Also I know that iPhoto uses the time/date stamp for filing but for about 20% of my photos the time/date stamp is wrong... In some cases by years.

Does anyone have any tips or lessons learned for this? *I am worried that when I create a new iPhoto library my filing will be all messed up.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Depends...

You can import your photos to the iphoto library which will then manage the files and you just organise the photos, i.e. create albums from the photos in your events. You can then remove (backup?) your files as they will now be copied into the iphoto library. Alternatively you can leave your photos where they are and use a referenced library (you can set this in iphoto preferences) - though this brings up some issues if you move photos with finder. There are lots of things on google about this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.