iPod touch 2nd gen headphone jack fault

Reaction score
Hi there,

My 2nd gen iPod touch has a problem with the headphone jack, only one channel works when headphones are used. Now my flatmate tried bodging it by sticking an earbud dipped in vodka down the headphone jack, which fixed it for a bit, but within a few hours it wasn't working again.

What could the problem be? Will it be a snapped wire from the headphone jack?

If so can it be resoldered? Ive got the kit to open the iPod up, but will I need some kind of micro solderer etc as I've only got a normal sized one (this will be the first time that I attempt something like this)

Rich

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Have you tried it with different known working headphones just to be sure?

As for fixing it, if its anything like the headphone jack in the iPhone 4, you may be able to replace the entire assembly. Check ifixit.com for a teardown guide.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks, I know its the headphone jack as my brother gave me the iPod because it didn't work with his headphones (he has several pairs) and my headphones work with my other iPod

OP
R
Reaction score
Ive just purchased a new headphone jack from Ebay, hopefully that should work

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.