USB stick isn't recognized

Reaction score
Using a MacBook Pro 10.6.8

Bought an 8gb USB stick from ThinkGeek, one of the really small ones (link). It works perfectly fine on windows, where I formatted it to be FAT32. However my MacBook Pro won't recognize it, even when looking at the disk utility. I doubled checked and it still works in a windows computer.

Is there any thing else I can try to make it work?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why did you have to format the drive? Normally, flash drives and thumb drives even as large as 32 GB are factory pre-formatted to FAT-32.

OP
R
Reaction score
Didn't have to, but when the drive wasn't recognized it was the first thing I did.

I also edited the OP to say it is an 8gb drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, so you tried it on your Mac first and it wasn't recognized? Then you re-formatted it on your Windows PC to FAT-32; Windows recognizes it but the Mac still won't?

If that's what happened, send the flash drive back and get a refund. It's either not compatible with a Mac or the drive may be glitchy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.