Rbooting a 2006 MacBook

Reaction score
Hi, last year my 2006 Macbook black crashed and when I (repeatedly) tried to restart it It opens a blank white screen and nothing else. Ive since then replaced it with a MacBook pro but have just dug out the old MacBook and want to try and get it going again as its a nice little machine.

So, what could the cause of this white screen be? Ive been told possibly hard drive failure?

If its possible to reboot the machine, how can I do this? Ive got the original install discs from the girl that I brought it from, Ive just tried to put it in but nothing happens, even if I hold down the atl button

Any advice on how I could fix the macbook would be greatly appreciated,

Rich

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and wel ome to the forums.

Got the install discs, see if you can boot from that bu holding down 'C' after the chime and go into Utilities > Disk utility and run Repair Disk and see what is shown.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Ive just tried that, no success there the thing is it doesn't even chime, as soon as I power up it goes to white screen, the fans go crazy and nothing else happens. Ive tried holding down C and also holding down D for a hardware analysis but both times nothing happens and it ejects the disc after a while.

Could this mean something inside has fried?

OP
R
Reaction score
A quick update, I just went downstairs to find a folder symbol with a question mark through it flashing on the screen whilst there was no disc in the drive, this is the first time anything has shown on the screen since it crashed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See signature
A quick update, I just went downstairs to find a folder symbol with a question mark through it flashing on the screen whilst there was no disc in the drive, this is the first time anything has shown on the screen since it crashed

It can't find the system software, could mean dead hard drive.

Try reseting your PRAM and NVRAM (Command, Option, P, and R).

Try booting off the install disk again and see if Disk Utility sees your HDD.

OP
R
Reaction score
Ive just tried that, again no success, I'm guessing ill have to replace the hard drive then? If so is there anyway that I can (visually) check it before paying out for another one and then finding that it want the hard drive?

Sorry I'm a complete novice to this I've never attempted computer repairs before!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
No way to visually check a hard drive. If it is unrecognizable by the system, that is the cheapest part to replace to solve. If that doesn't work, it could be something much more complicated and costly.

But usually it's just the hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See signature
I have an external IDE/SATA USB reader and I'd pull the drive and hook it up to that and plug it into a know good machine first to see if it sees/accesses the drive. If you pull the drive and shake it you might hear a rattle, that's a dead drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an external IDE/SATA USB reader and I'd pull the drive and hook it up to that and plug it into a know good machine first to see if it sees/accesses the drive. If you pull the drive and shake it you might hear a rattle, that's a dead drive.

Just because the drive may/may not rattle doesn't mean it's dead.

OP
R
Reaction score
Cool ill try that, Is there any specific hard drive for this era of MacBooks, or will any of the drives advertised on ebay as 'fits macbook/pro/mini' or 'macbook, ps, laptop sata hard drive' fit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any SATA 2.5in drive that is under 500GB will fit. Over 500GB you may run into models that are too thick to fit in the space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See signature
Just because the drive may/may not rattle doesn't mean it's dead.

There is a certain rattle a dead drive can make. If it makes that rattle, it's dead. The OP was looking for tangibles...

OP
R
Reaction score
Ive just taken the hard drive out and its making a rattle as you described. Its time for a new hard drive then, thanks alot for your help!

OP
R
Reaction score
Ive just replaced the hard drive and still no luck with the install disc! anything else I can try?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.