iTunes transfer on External Hard Drive

Reaction score
Hey,
I have a question that I believe to be quite simple yet I have not been able to find any information about it on any forum. Here is my situation:
I currently have an older MacMini and am going to upgrade to a new one. I am going through the Apple Recycling program and before I purchase my new MacMini, I was going to recycle the old one and use money towards my new purchase. Currently, all my iTunes library is housed on an external hard drive, roughly around 23,000 songs. I have created playlists, ratings, etc. and would like to be able to make sure that I can transfer these files to the new MacMini seamlessly. What would I have to do to save the music library so that it will easily upload to the new MacMini? Thanks. :Blushing:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
One way to ensure everything is transferred correctly to your new Mini is to make a complete Time Machine backup of the old Mini. When first starting your new Mini, you'll be asked if you wish to migrate from another Mac. Respond yes and select Time Machine. Attach the Time Machine external drive and the transfer will take place. All your playlists, ratings, and library location will be transferred to the new Mini along with all your other apps, settings, documents, and whatever else.

OP
S
Reaction score
thank you very much. What are the steps to to complete a full time machine backup on my old mac mini?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Wouldn't all his playlists info etc be on the external? If so then, while doing the full Time Machine backup would be a good thing to do (you will more then likely need it for mail internet etc), when setting up his new mini wouldn't he just specify the itunes library on the external?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh and for the TM backup Mac 101: Time Machine but I think it neglects to tell you that you will find it under system preferences...

OP
S
Reaction score
Great, thank you very much. So I could specify the the folder on my external hard drive (already setup via iTunes as housing all my music) as the current folder to use when loading my new iTunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would think so. But do your TM backup first anyways (good practice for fear of losing any info) Using the TM method (altho I didn't try it for data only), I ended up with extra Identities and having to move files to the one I wanted to keep... Try it the way I mentioned (by pointing to your external library) first, if that doesn't work for you (and it should) then you will have you back up.

My setup, I have my music on my external (altho I also have all my music alone in a directory as well as having itunes library and directory setup. Overkill yes but it's easier for me if I just need mp3 format for my windows mp3 player) in a seperate Music directory set to be pointed to from my mini and my mbp.

Reaction score
Sorry to reply to an old thread, but I am wanting to convert my android music files to my iTunes (on a Mac) and then put them on an iPhone..

From reading this it seems I should use the Switch software to convert once I transfer the files from my android to my Mac. Once I have them converted on my computer, how do I get those into my iTunes account?

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Actually, I think I read about the Switch software in another thread and meant to reply to that one..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.