Finder Window Help

Reaction score
Sometimes when I make a new finder window, or want to attach a file I don't have the option to organize by date, filze size, etc. and it's grey'd out. Anyone know what setting I might have checked off that would be doing this?

Screen Shot 2012-04-02 at 12.17.59 PM.jpeg

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The inability to organize your files is because the folder has been set to automatically arrange files/folder in some way. Right click somewhere in the folder > Arrange By > make sure it's set to "None."

OP
C
Reaction score
The inability to organize your files is because the folder has been set to automatically arrange files/folder in some way. Right click somewhere in the folder > Arrange By > make sure it's set to "None."

Thanks! I never set it to be that way. Is there a way to 'master set' all folders to have no specific view? It's odd how some folders are locked this way, and others aren't. Maybe it's the program I'm using to create them or soemthing...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You probably have to do it more than once. But in Show View Options there is a Use as Defaults button.

OP
C
Reaction score
You guys rock! Hope this solves this annoying little thing.

Now if only my computer didn't sound like a jet engine at take off every time I play a 20 second flash video...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.