Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer

Reaction score
So I did something stupid. I have lost the installation cd's for my home macbook pro and wanted to clean it before giving it to my mom. So I figured I could just use the cd's that came with my work macbook instead (newer version?). So I erased the disk and when I wanted to restart the machine and install the system it tells me that I cant do that on this computer.

From what I can see on a bunch of different threads this is a common problem. My problem right now is that I can't do anything on the computer since I can't install, can't use a backup disk to start, and can't eject the cd. Does anyone know how I can get past this and install the system without actually starting up the computer?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So I did something stupid. I have lost the installation cd's for my home macbook pro and wanted to clean it before giving it to my mom. So I figured I could just use the cd's that came with my work macbook instead (newer version?).

Common problem...those gray OS install disks are model specific.

If you need an OS install disk...go to Apple.com...and purchase the $29 Snow Leopard install OS disk.

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Yeah but right now I can't even eject the disk I put in the macbook. So even if I purchase a disk I can't really install it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah but right now I can't even eject the disk I put in the macbook. So even if I purchase a disk I can't really install it.

Whenever I have a problem like this...and I need help really fast...do you want to know what I do???...I do a Google search!!!:)

Have you tried searching Google using something like "MacBook Eject Disk" as a search term??

If you did...you would have had your answer in about 30 seconds!:)

If you post a question like this on an internet forum...sometimes answers can take hours or even days. If you need an answer ASAP (like in seconds)...Google is your friend!;)

- Nick

p.s. Once you get the disk ejected...then follow what I mentioned above...which is to purchase the $29 Snow Leopard install disk at Apple.com.:)

OP
L
Reaction score
Yeah sorry about that, I had done that and tried a few different things without luck. But finally found a useful link. Will buy the disk, thanks for the help

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah sorry about that, I had done that and tried a few different things without luck. But finally found a useful link. Will buy the disk, thanks for the help

Glad to be of help.:)

After purchasing the disk from Apple.com...you should be "Good to Go"!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.