MacBook Pro 2011 running games really slow

Reaction score
Hello. I been having a problem which is really annoying. In the past I found this forum really helpful that I never had to post, although now I can't find a solution any where. I own a MacBook Pro early 2011 model. The specs are: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024MB running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3. I also have 1TB memory storage and I only have 2 games installed and 35% in use. I run the games purely on Mac OSX, I don't like bootcamp and virtual drive is useless for running games.

I am trying to run Heroes of Newerth, spec requirements are Recommended:

Processor - 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo or faster
RAM - 3.0GB or higher
Video Card - 256MB Geforce 7800+ or Radeon X1900+
Network Connection Required (Broadband)

My computer clearly should run this game fine except that even in lowest settings, 800x600 and medium on details it runs choppy and laggy as if I am running on the game on below minimum spec requirements. I ran start craft 2 on Medium graphics before and it ran well, I uninstalled it since than though. Games when I first got this computer ran well with no lag on the graphics, again all games that run on Mac OSX, but I uninstall my games through university time so I haven't gotten to play in a few months. I Installed HON a week ago, I started running it on Max Graphics and it ran ok but the longer I ran the game, the lagger it got (not consistently, I come to play every night). First, I thought it was the fans not running fast enough to cool the computer so I downloaded smcFanControl and ran it on higher RPM. I pulled an extra 700 RPM but it didn't improve too much. Than I thought the Mac is not switching between the integrated (Intel HD Graphics 3000 256MB) instead of the dynamic drive (AMD RadeonHD 6750 1024MB) so I downloaded gfxCardStatus to manually control which graphics card is being used, it runs less laggy when the fans and drive are running but still REALLY laggy and choppy on LOWEST graphics setting!!! I tried going to active manager on utility and close all unnecessary items but still nothing, all other programs are closed while running HON. My average ping is 60 and running fast cable net that I can confidently exclude my internet from being the problem. I tried restarting my computer and running the game again and still no avail. I am still playing, but its laggy, choppy, disgusting and really frustrating to play, my girlfriend plays Sims App on Facebook and she tells me that often even that will start to lag and slow and stuff. Short of going to Apple which here, any sort of repair, has a wait line that can take anywhere between 2 - 12 weeks. Can anyone help me please? Thank you so much!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your machine should certainly be able to handle that game. You have enough video power so that shouldn't be the problem. I know you said you have a good connection but what you're telling us sounds like that could be the bottleneck.

How do similar games run on your machine when played directly from the hard drive in stand alone status? In other words, not connected to the net?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Get Onyx and clear out your cache and other unneeded files.
Open the disk tool and verify/repair your disk, then do the same for Permissions.
Do not run a game from an external drive and see if you still have the issues.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hey, I installed Onyx, ran it and the game is actually ran faster, ty, but still disappointing as i will describe now. First game ran no lag, perfectly as the computer should run. I moved the specs to High-Medium during the game and no choppiness or lagginess. I ran it for second a round, and this time it did not run nearly as nicely as the first game. I ran 3 more games afterwards, same as the second one.. better than before onyx but still with a lag and choppiness in picture and commands. the internet is running at 20gb speed and downloading at 1mb per second, i don't think it is that. I always been running the game straight from local HD, never from an external source. Is there a way to maintain the fluidity of the game running nicely like my first game or will it always inevitably slow down?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
did you open the disk tool and Verify and Repair Permissions? Onyx was only one step.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
did you open the disk tool and Verify and Repair Permissions? Onyx was only one step.

Onyx usually does that when it starts up, unless you stop it from doing so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.