iMac freezes

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post here. I have a late 2006 iMac (yes, it's old) that lately will completely freeze up on me and I'll have to do a hard reboot with the power button. When it happens the mouse will still move around, but everything else is completely frozen and no keyboard shortcuts will work. I was thinking it has a hardware problem since it's getting pretty old, but I wanted to see what you guys thought. I'm running 10.6.8 and its the core 2 duo 2 ghz with ATI RadeonX1600 graphics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
I had the exact same freezing problems you describe, along with a weird screen problem (random colours, lines, blacking out) since an upgrade to 10.6.3.

Moved on to Lion (10.7) and the problem went away until an upgrade to 10.7.3 (strangely) where I now get random freezing again - though not as frequently as before. Also they now tend to happen when being woken from sleep. My iMac - not me!!

It's been suggested that connected external hard drives can cause these problems.

OP
B
Reaction score
Yeah, I have the same weird screen issues. I thought it was a sign that my video card was starting to quit and that was what was causing the freezing, but it sounds like a common thing. I do have a firewire drive connected, but it needs to stay connected. Are there any ways to minimize this problem? It happens every day or two, and it's really annoying if I'm working on something. Or is it just time to upgrade?

OP
B
Reaction score
I'm not worried about my software not working. I know everything is compatable. When you say might, are you saying this is a problem new macs have as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
No - just that the problems I encountered with Snow Leopard (after 10.6.3) on my 2007 iMac have just re-appeared (albeit a lot less frequently) after the latest upgrade to 10.7.3.

My Macbook, which I bought new in late 2010 and run on both SL and Lion has had no problems with freezing whatsoever.

Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.