Deploying a web link

Reaction score
Hi there. :)
I'm a developer who has exclusively used Windows/Visual Studio (C#/VB/C++) in the past.
We have spent a lot of time making sure out web-apps are running properly on Safari, and we're at the point where we can open it up on the device browsers (including the iPad/iPhone), and run the apps without issue. We just need to productionise the deployment for a few of our customers.
I need to deploy a simple link/shortcut to a web address on the iPhone/iPad, that would open up a particular page using the default browser.

Being completely clueless in the Apple-sphere, is there a kind soul out there who might take pity, and point me down the right path? I'm just not sure what kind of programming & deployment model I am working with. :(
Would I need to find a Mac, install the latest version of XCode, and build some kind of deployment package? Is there a simpler way to package up something like this?

I'd really appreciate any help anyone could offer... Thanks very much!

Cheers, Marlon.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you want to develop and sell an app on iOS devices, you will need an Intel based Mac, and use Xcode to develop a simple app that is basically a weblog widget that will point to your website. You will need to pay $99 a year to access the App Store.

You might, however, want to read up on whether you can sell an app that is just a webkit widget and the actual content is on the website, since Apple has to approve the app. But since the app doesn't have all the content, that's on the website, they might not approve it.

OP
A
Reaction score
If you want to develop and sell an app on iOS devices, you will need an Intel based Mac, and use Xcode to develop a simple app that is basically a weblog widget that will point to your website. You will need to pay $99 a year to access the App Store.

You might, however, want to read up on whether you can sell an app that is just a webkit widget and the actual content is on the website, since Apple has to approve the app. But since the app doesn't have all the content, that's on the website, they might not approve it.

Thanks Raz0rEdge, I appreciate the quick response!
We are not actually trying to sell the app directly on iTunes... we just want a convenient way for our existing customers to access the web-pages where their online systems are located.

Really, it's just meant to be a link that is opened by the device browser when the icon is clicked. So if I understand you correctly, we need to create a "weblog widget"? There's no way to simply deploy a shortcut that can sit on their screen, that iOS knows to launch using Safari?

Thanks so much for your help... I'm really in the dark when it comes to Apple OS, code, and deployment.

Best Regards,
Marlon.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
OK, I think I know what you want. There is a way to have a website's URL to be added to the home screen of iOS devices just like any other app. When the icon is clicked, that particular URL is automatically opened.

I did this with Google News..so what you'll need to do is look at mobile-bookmark-bubble - Promote your mobile web application by helping users bookmark it - Google Project Hosting or Add to home screen and add that to your website (if possible). Once visitors come to your site they will get that pop-up..

See if that fits your needs..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You'll want to take a look at this as well. In that document are some tips and notes to keep in mind. More specifically, it outlines iOS web clip specific meta tags that you'll want to include to give your web clip an icon and other things that might be of use.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi Raz0rEdge and vansmith.

Thanks so much!
That's really helpful; exactly what I was looking for!

I am very grateful for your time. :)

All the best, mates.
Cheers, Marlon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.