OS for pismo??

Reaction score
Hi,
I have G3 pismo (sn QT01302RHKE) "family number M5772". When the laptop was given to me it had a working hard drive but it had been wiped. I understand OS X tiger is suppose to run on it. But I'm having trouble finding it at a reasonable price considering the age of the hardware. Any Ideas or sources??? Thanks
-Andrew

C

chas_m

That is a hale and hearty (but really, really old) computer. Getting a retail copy of Tiger is going to be very tricky and expensive as you've discovered.

My only suggestion that isn't an obvious one you've probably already tried would be to check with your local Mac User Group if there is one near you. Maybe someone has a copy of the retail Tiger disc that they've long since upgraded beyond.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I understand OS X tiger is suppose to run on it.

One other thought to consider...just because a "Pismo" can run Tiger (OS 10.4)...doesn't necessarily mean you should.

Running Tiger on a "Pismo" laptop will probably be pretty darn slow...but on the other hand 10.4 Tiger will give you the best compatibility with current technologies.

And as "rabbitjetta" suggested...from a cost perspective...running an older version of the Mac OS such as 10.3 Panther would be less expensive to purchase...and will be faster.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.