Boot camp software disappeared after removing boot camp partition

Reaction score
Hello,

I had just installed Windows 7 sucessfully on my iMac. However, I understood that I did it wrong and needed to install it with the 64 bit version.

So I tried to reinstall it completely. In the disk utility, I deleted the "BOOTCAMP" partition, and placed everything back to normal (100% of my HD is now Mac).

The problem I have now is that the Bootcamp software I used to install Windows 7 is nowhere to be found. I cannot split my HD anymore... and I searched and they say that Bootcamp (version 4.0 i think) comes initially with the Mac OSX software installation (which it did), but it somehow disappeared for a reason, and it's impossible for me to download it.

Any help please? Thanks a lot!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello,

I had just installed Windows 7 sucessfully on my iMac. However, I understood that I did it wrong and needed to install it with the 64 bit version.

So I tried to reinstall it completely. In the disk utility, I deleted the "BOOTCAMP" partition, and placed everything back to normal (100% of my HD is now Mac).

This is a common mistake, unfortunately. If you re-run the Boot Camp Assistant, it will offer the option to restore to a single partition.

The problem I have now is that the Bootcamp software I used to install Windows 7 is nowhere to be found.

You're looking for "Boot Camp Assistant" (three words). It should be in Applications => Utilities. You might also try hitting Command+Space and typing "Boot Camp Assistant" to help you locate it. Changing the partition structure shouldn't have removed the BCA.

I cannot split my HD anymore... and I searched and they say that Bootcamp (version 4.0 i think) comes initially with the Mac OSX software installation (which it did), but it somehow disappeared for a reason, and it's impossible for me to download it.

Any help please? Thanks a lot!

Boot Camp is part of the OS and is not generally offered for download. But that's OK, because it should be available on your system disks. But I suspect that you've just misplaced the BCA. Give the advice above a shot and see if you can locate it before you jump to any conclusions.

OP
M
Reaction score
You're looking for "Boot Camp Assistant" (three words). It should be in Applications => Utilities. You might also try hitting Command+Space and typing "Boot Camp Assistant" to help you locate it. Changing the partition structure shouldn't have removed the BCA.

Thanks for your reply!
It magically reappeared when I went through applications : utilities.
I was using spotlight, or the search function in the finder and it always found nothing, now I opened it and I find it in all of those places... weird... but problem solved, THANK YOU!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.