iPad 3 vs MacBook Pro 13"

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I need some insight/advice.

Im looking to get either a macbook or an ipad, but not sure which.

i am a student and i want to used the ipad/mbp for writing papers and the such, however, im sure i would use it for facebook stuff and minor browsing on the internet

i dont know if it would be better for me to just get an ipad and use it w/ my wireless keyboard, but ipads dont support flash or MS word.

so give me your thoughts...basically as a student, looking to use it for typing notes, papers, research

(p.s. i have an imac desktop for all my media, movies, music etc)

C

chas_m

This is more of a tossup than it was even a couple of months ago.

It seems pretty obvious that MS is working on some form of Office for iPad, and of course there is Pages which IMO is a better option anyway. It might not win on a every-bell-and-whistle checklist, but I find it less soul-deadening than Word. As for when that might come out, your guess is as good as mine.

Lack of Flash is again IMHO a complete non-issue. Since I don't play silly Facebook games, I really haven't much use for Flash. All the major video sites and (again IMO) major USEFUL sites have long since switched over to HTML5 where they can. I have yet to EVER experience the feeling of "wow, I wish I could view this awesome web site on my iPad but I can't because it doesn't support Flash!" Mostly it's more a question of "wow I can't believe how many annoying animated ads I'm NOT SEEING thanks to there being no Flash on this thing!"

I'm sure there are examples out there that I'm not aware of where it might be more of an inconvenience, but so far I haven't run into it. If some web designer is so stupid as to not know that hundreds of millions of web-capable iOS devices can't see their site because its all-Flash, well ... what are the chances that I would want to visit this site anyway?

It's like designing a website to be all-ActiveX. You're essentially telling most internet users to bug off. I'm sure there are instances where its unavoidable, but the word "niche" comes to mind.

Having said all that, it's nice having an integrated keyboard and in some cases the additional power and file system available on notebooks.

So I'm going to go all King Soloman on you and split the difference: get a MacBook Air! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Flash is dead... it slows all devices that run it down. I recommend that you go for the ipad and use iWork for your papers so that you can work with it. If you need flash there are apps in the apps store that you can use that allow flash on the ipad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
iPad is not a computer

So long as you remember that all will be fine. I have a 15" MBPro and the New iPad as well. One does not replace the other at all.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1. Got to agree with member wolfpuppies3. MacLife Magazine recently did an article on using an iPad to replace a Mac for everyday usage. Interesting article and some surprising conclusions drawn by the author.

If I were a student having to make a choice between the two, I would choose the MacBook Pro or a MacBook Air. Of course, if you have the $$$, having both is even better. :)

Reaction score
IPAD or MBP?

Lets see . . . .
No I/O, limited storage, no multi-tasking, no memory upgrade, no USB or DVD. Yep I'd go with the MacBook Pro:Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
One is for producing content. One is for consuming it. Depending upon what you want to do, either is a good choice.

Reaction score
You've already got the iMac to take care of all the things that a powerful MacBook Pro would do, so simply put, I would go for the iPad.

Granted, you don't have the portable power and flexibility that you would have with an MBP, but I can't help but think that the iMac and MBP share too much of the same to warrant both (for a student).

There are always options though. You could get a refurbished 11" MBA w/4GB RAM and 128GB HD for $999 ($1,099 for the 13" MBA) and an iPad 2 (16GB Wi-Fi) directly from Apple for $350 (16GB Wi-Fi) if you want to get both. A refurb from Apple has the same warranty as a new one, so there's no worry there. I have the iPad 3 and I love it, but an iPad 2 is nothing to sneeze at. It's got 85% of everything the iPad 3 has.

Reaction score
Since you already have an iMac, I'm going to say go ahead and get the iPad. Unless you absolutely need to have the functions that come along with a full desktop OS in a mobile environment, probably 99% of the time you will not be using that MacBook to its full capacity.

If you can deal with carrying around a bluetooth keyboard (trust me you don't want to be typing notes and papers with the on-screen keyboard) then it will work just fine for what you want to do. For the functions you will need a full desktop OS for, your iMac will handle those just fine.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'm still a student and I have both. There are just somethings that are easier to do on a Notebook than on the iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
I'm a highschool student and had both until i sold them for a new Pro. The ipad was great for quick browsing and using as a text book, but the screen is a little small for my liking and even note taking was a little annoying. I would never have written a paper on it. It is deffinetly a great tool and I loved mine, but the macbook was better for papers and presentations and was more capabible than the iPad. When I sold the iPad and MacBook I briefely considered a new iPad instead of the Pro but decided against it and since then I've never regretted the purchase. I miss the iPad and would like to get another one but I would never trade my Pro for it. In short the iPad is great but only as a secondary device, as a student you'll regret not having the flexibilty of the macbook if you go iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I have both. But if you already have an iMac, you will most likely be fine with an iPad. If you didn't already have the iMac, I'd say get the MBP.

C

chas_m

One is for producing content. One is for consuming it.

This is outdated thinking, said Chas, dictating into his iPad using Siri.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to do some sketching in Paper. Again, on my iPad.

After that I think I'll use iPhoto to edit some photos and produce a new Photo Journal.

Again, on my iPad.

Later I'll be shooting some 1080p video. On my iPad. And editing it. On my iPad. And uploading it. On my iPad.

Had enough, or shall I go on? Because I can, you know ... and I haven't even broken out a stylus yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
This is outdated thinking, said Chas, dictating into his iPad using Siri.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to do some sketching in Paper. Again, on my iPad.

After that I think I'll use iPhoto to edit some photos and produce a new Photo Journal.

Again, on my iPad.

Later I'll be shooting some 1080p video. On my iPad. And editing it. On my iPad. And uploading it. On my iPad.

Had enough, or shall I go on? Because I can, you know ... and I haven't even broken out a stylus yet.

He has an iPhone so he can shoot and edit video with that it he pleases, and if he where to get a MacBook and edit there the footage would be many times better put together with the use of programs like FCP X and for photo editing Aperture and the CS5 Adobe series kills iPad iPhoto and Photoshop. If you want properly edited photos you don't use an iPad I know I have tried it numerous times. Yes the iPad is a great tool but besides maybe note taking if he's keen on it the MacBook would be better for edging photos and videos on the go. Unless they are just pics or vids taken for fun he could still just use the iPhone. Also the Mac won't become completely outdated (notice completely) in a years time. OP if you NEED this device get the Mac Book but if this is just for a fun useful extra and your current setup is fine go iPad if you want. But personally I have found more "fun" out of using my MBP than I did my iPad and just as much fun If not a little more on the iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
iPhone as an iPad?

In a word, no. Unless you have teeny hands and fingers, and really good close vision. No.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
This is turning into an iPad vs Laptop thread (actually it did a long time ago).

For the OP's question:
The laptop would be a better choice simply from the standpoint of adaptability and expandability. No more, no less. More bang for your buck here.

Can you make do with an iPad, absolutely. But you have to be honest, will it merely get you buy, or will it completely fit your requirements no and a year from now?

Now, as someone who has an iPad, iPhone and MBP, each has their uses and while some overlap, each is better at certain things.
1. Can I edit photos on the iPad? Yep, and in layers. Check out Laminar, worth the pennies.
2. What about video? Yep. Try Avid Studio (even runs on the iPad 1)
3. Word/Excel/Powerpoint? Yep, Documents To Go - best I have tried on the iPad for being compatible with MS Office, however Microsoft is building an Office Suite for iOS.

If you are creative enough, and think outside the box, it is possible to make an iPad your only piece of technology. It is a very dynamic piece of tech, however there are times I just want to sit in front of my 17" MBP and knock out GBs of video at a time or play a few games not available on the iPad.

I will say this, if I am just looking to do some quick internet browsing and searching, I pull out the iPad first. Instant on/off makes it ideal.

Figure out what you need a computer/tablet for and go from there. Go put your hands on them and see.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.