Script for Getting info from source HTML-I need a place to start!

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So, I'm pretty basic with my AppleScript skills, but I'm wondering if some guys could point me towards some of the answers ill need to start this process...

I have some info that I need to regularly grab from a webpage. That pages source code doesn't change, just some values in it.

I need to translate these numbers into iCal or an ICS file, how would I do this???

AppleScript? HTML5? Java?

Idk...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can do it in just about any language except for perhaps AppleScript (AS is really meant for working with the OS and installed applications). Do you have any experience with any language? If you do, look for "screen scraping" techniques for that particular language.

What's the URL of the page you're trying to scrape and what are you trying to get from it?

OP
D
Reaction score
well, the URL is only accessible by me and my co-wokers. Its a secure website where we can view our work schedule. They post 3 weeks of schedule, and have no way to export it. It ends up with me spending an hour or so inputing my schedule into iCal. PAINFUL.

I'm just trying to see if there is a way to extrapolate that code into a .ics file.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That's going to be a problem. The issue here is simple - the page requires authentication which, unless set up this way by the administrator, will be near impossible (at least in a simple way) from a script. Even if it is possible, it won't be easy and will surely require you to script in a language other than Applescript.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.