Keeping "Open File With" Option

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed in the past, but since I've never, ever had a problem with it, I didn't pay much attention.

My Mac is now opening all rtf and txt documents in Text Edit.
Long ago, when I switched over to Bean for text documents, and something else before that, I did the Get Info > Open With
trick on a document, changed it to Bean, then clicked "Change all..."

It's worked fine for years, but now every time I log in or reboot, documents open in Text Edit.
It's not just Text Edit either. I also prefer to use Movist to watch videos rather than Quicktime, which has become buggy.
Same deal; it lasts until I log out or reboot.

And another problem is when I open many of my apps, I get the warning: "You are opening the application “Bean.app” for the first time. Are you sure you want to open this application?" Sometimes I get, "Firefox was downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?"

These are applications I have been using for years.

I've Repaired Permissions and Rebuilt Launch Services repeatedly, but nothing works.

I hate Lion, nothing but trouble.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Lion not withstanding.....

Download the free "Default Apps" preference pane from here. Use it to set everything the way you like.

OP
Old Rogue
Reaction score
That's a pretty nifty little Prefs addition, and probably should be a part of the OS, maybe somewhat simplified. However, it didn't work. I went through a lot of file types, checking and making "my" apps the default, but none of these settings would stick after logging out twice, and rebooting once.

I'm doomed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.