Sluggish Macbook pro

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just joined these forums and cannot figure out the search function so I apologize if there is already a thread like mine.

I purchased my Macbook pro last February and have been very happy with it. Last month my hard drive crashed. I was able to get everything back up and functional but ever since it has been really slow (but the battery lasts a lot longer now - weird).

I went to the Apple store and the person helping me told me nothing is wrong with my computer and to just clear the caches. I have done that and the problem has just gotten worse. Now I can barely do anything without seeing a beach ball.

I've been doing some reading up online and I don't think I have any CPU/ memory issues. Currently I have 97% of my CPU idling. More than half of my RAM is either fee or inactive. And I've only used 10% of my hard drive space. I'm not sure what this means but my IO is 7 IO/sec and earlier it was 56 IO/sec.

I'm really frustrated and have no idea of what to do. I'm not too tech savvy so any help would be appreciated.

I was wondering if reformatting would be beneficial? I have lost my Snow Leopard disk but can I reformat with the Lion thumb drive?

Thanks,

Nboogie

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you don't mind reinstalling... do a clean install of Lion but first make sure you use Time Machine to backup everything. During the reinstall of Lion, you can restore your data and applications using Time Machine.

Did you buy Apple care when you purchased your MBP? You stated you bought it in Feb. I'm assuming you mean Feb 2011 since it had Snow Leopard on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You said your hard drive crashed. Did it just crash or did it get replaced? It is wasn't replaced then there still may be an issue with the drive.

OP
N
Reaction score
Hey,

Feb 2011 is correct. I did purchase AppleCare and the hard drive has not been replaced.

Thanks for the replies,

N

OP
N
Reaction score
If you don't mind reinstalling... do a clean install of Lion but first make sure you use Time Machine to backup everything. During the reinstall of Lion, you can restore your data and applications using Time Machine.

Did you buy Apple care when you purchased your MBP? You stated you bought it in Feb. I'm assuming you mean Feb 2011 since it had Snow Leopard on it.

In the event that my hard drive crashes again, can I boot from the lion thumb drive or will I have to find another snow leopard disk?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You can boot from the Lion thumb drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.