building a macbook pro from scratch

Reaction score
hi i want to build a macbook pro from scratch is it possible? i have the RAM and HD (SSD) already and i was planning on buying a hardware damaged (hopefully one that has a motherboard problem) macbook pro.

for the motherboard i was planning on buying one of those "used" logic board (2.7 i7) from ebay.

the question is can i register w/ the "used"logic board serial? i contacted one of the "used" logic board sellers im interested in buying and he said the serial is "clean".

is this possible because i would like to be able to use icloud, itunes, and other programs that requires a apple id.

also the reason i dont get a new one or a used one is because i have the RAM and SSD HD already from previously owned PC laptops and i dont really have the money (~2500usd) to buy a brand new 15" i7 MBP, if this build is possible it would cost roughly ~$1500 but under $2000 (which i dont have)

thank you,
f75

OP
F
Reaction score
yea i know, this main thing is can i register w/ the "used" logic board's serial number and be able to do everything as if i bought a new macbook (like itunes or icloud)? would it be linked to my AppleID and be able to get OS updates,etc...? also, would i have to use the "serializer" program to install the serial?

the reason im concerned is because i read that alot of people who had the logic board repairs the serial wasnt showing in the About section of the System Info and that some people couldnt log into some programs because the serial was different. thats why im so "paranoid" about the serial, because the last thing i want to do is drop $1500 on a computer and find out later that i cant get updates or cant use certain programs because the serial number is bad, invalid, stolen, or anything like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2011 imac 27, quad core i5, 16GB ram
I would still be careful besides the issues that you mentioned, there are always firmware updates and if the hardware is different it will wipe out your new laptop if you are using the apple OS.

For me the idea of dropping $1,500.00 on something that is questionable is out of the question. Better to bite the bullet and purchase a new macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2011 imac 27, quad core i5, 16GB ram
sfam198
Thank you that was thought full of you.. But I live in Taiwan and importing a computer would double the cost.. which is unfair but that is how they control things here. So I have to buy things here. The Funny thing is that the on-line apple store offers imac with only 512MB video ram unless you buy the top of the line 27inch imac.. then you can only get i5 processors here too.. kind of feels like they are dumping the old stuff here.. But you can get an i7 processor it you order the top of the line.

iMac - Buy iMac desktop computers - Apple Store (Taiwan)

Reaction score
Ok, i didn't know you were in Taiwan. I would check Taiwan's eBay site and see if there are any used MacBook Pros on there in your price range. I tried to look, but I can't read Thai so...

I have a feeling you'd find something in your price range already pre-built.

C

chas_m

Putting together a Hackintosh (which is really what you're talking about) for a notebook is incredibly UNlikely to work, and illegal anyway. As this forum follows US law on this matter, I expect this discussion will be shut down shortly.

Your best bet is to do some travelling and bring back a MBP with you. Obey all laws regarding imports.

Reaction score
I thought Hackintosh too, but it looks like he wants to buy broken Macs and bolt them together into one working Mac.

I had thought about this too, from certain angles. "Can I take the logic board out of my MacBook Pro and get a newer one?" In the end I decided it wasn't economically viable.

But I've never seen anything fuss about Mac serial numbers.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Putting together a Hackintosh (which is really what you're talking about) for a notebook is incredibly UNlikely to work, and illegal anyway. As this forum follows US law on this matter, I expect this discussion will be shut down shortly.

I just read through his posts and see nothing that would indicate he's try to construct a "Hackintosh". He plans on buying a non functioning MBP.

hi i want to build a macbook pro from scratch is it possible? i have the RAM and HD (SSD) already and i was planning on buying a hardware damaged (hopefully one that has a motherboard problem) macbook pro.

The first sentence sounds like Hackintosh but reading on clarifies what he intends to do. Thanks for your vigilance chas but this one seems OK.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the info. I think I'm going to going to do.

Sorry if my q. Was a little confusing, I first thought it would be a hackintosh but found out was a hackintosh was(basically a windows PC w/ Mac is) but that's not want I'm trying to do.

Sub. And chs is correct. I'm trying to build a legit build a Mac w/ previously owned working Mac parts separately.

Ill do post a DIY thread once I get all the parts.

Also would I have driver/ firmware problem doing my method?

Everything would be mac parts except the ram which is the same spec as listed in the apple store and the ssd HD is a "crucial" brand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
As long as you get the important parts, (frame/body, logic board, screen, & battery) from the same generation model, you should be OK.

OP
F
Reaction score
Cool thanks guys

Your MBP specs looks tight, Stretch, can u put 2 HD in the 15" MBP's? I would love to put in my ssd and 1x 500 gb HD in the MBP I'm about to build. Is three space for 2 hd's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
There is if you remove the optical drive. I hardly ever used mine so I pulled it out and put the SSD in it's place.

C

chas_m

My apologies for misinterpreting. You're not building a Hackintosh, you're building a FrankenMac! :)

OP
F
Reaction score
haha ur right chas... a frankenmac.

ok i found a logic board (2.66 i7- $698.00) im interested in but its Mid-2010, but the broken complete mac(that has the motherboard problem) is a early-2011 but is the same model (A1286). <b>661-5480 15 inch Macbook Pro (Black Keybd-Mid 2010)</b><br>2.66 GHz Core i7 Logic Board A1286

as long as the model numbers are the same, in this case A1286 can it work?

if they are compatible im gunna buy it and start my project, unless someone else here knows where i can find a "used" "clean" logic board cheaper.

FYI the broken complete mac also has the black-keyboard, early 2011, 2.0ghz/i7, 15" screen, model#A1286

thanks guys

OP
F
Reaction score
does anyone have any experience w/ my last question? do u guys think a mid 2010 logic board will fit a early 2011 MBP?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.