How to Recover Data

Reaction score
Story: I recently took my Macbook (aluminum) in to finally fix my screen. I was told that the HardDrive also had to be replaced. OK, FINE. I was a bit concerned though. I was able to turn on my computer a week prior and saw my background. The day before I turn on my computer I was able to see my background again. My screen was totally full of vertical lines, so I was not using my Mac for quite awhile!

Apple said that they before replacing the HardDrive they would turn on the computer, but hear the power Ding.

Now, I am stuck with a new HardDrive, new screen, but no data (and of course out 500!...all to have my Empress back) that was on my computer! Apple said that they don't do data recoveries, so I am out on my own.

A local Mac repair alternative has high ratings, but they charge $300, and I am unsure if this type of repair should really cost that much. Or if their are alternative ways to recover data that I can do myself. I have searched craiglist ads, but unless you know someone personally that is always nerve racking!

HELP PLEASE!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
If they replaced the hard drive, you can't recover your files - ever.

1) keep backups of important files on separate media - external drive, cloud, burned DVD, etc.
2) remember that computers are just electro-mechanical devices - they can and will fail.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure I understand your post? Did Apple give the old hard drive back to you when it was replaced or did they dispose of it? If you have possession of the old hard drive that was removed you may be able to recover the data yourself. Let us know.

OP
K
Reaction score
Yes. They gave me my old harddrive back.

Not sure I understand your post? Did Apple give the old hard drive back to you when it was replaced or did they dispose of it? If you have possession of the old hard drive that was removed you may be able to recover the data yourself. Let us know.

OP
K
Reaction score
Not to be rude, BUT

1. I know that replacing a harddrive means your computer is wiped clean
  2. I do keep back-ups of my files. Perhaps you did not read my post. Anyway, I don't many people that back-up files every single day. There will always be something you loose when a harddrive fails.
  3. I don't need to remember anything. I am not stupid.
  4. Exactly what was the point of your post. It was not helpful at all and only annoying. Do I really need to put "WARNING: Only those who can can help" next time I post something.

If they replaced the hard drive, you can't recover your files - ever.

1) keep backups of important files on separate media - external drive, cloud, burned DVD, etc.
2) remember that computers are just electro-mechanical devices - they can and will fail.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes. They gave me my old harddrive back.

First, member "gsahli" was trying to be helpful so let's move past that and see if we can recover the data from the drive.

You'll need an external SATA carrier or adapter to put the hard drive in or attach to. That will allow the drive to be connected to your Mac via USB. Then you'll need to obtain data recovery software.

The best data recovery software in my opinion is "Data Rescue 3". However it's not inexpensive. $99 for the license but you can download a trial version first to see if it can recover the data. Here is the LINK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Not to be rude, BUT...
I am not stupid.

I apologize.
Reading your post left me with the wrong impression, and I thought you needed help on a much more simple level.

OP
K
Reaction score
Did this and I have all my files back! Thanks!

First, member "gsahli" was trying to be helpful so let's move past that and see if we can recover the data from the drive.

You'll need an external SATA carrier or adapter to put the hard drive in or attach to. That will allow the drive to be connected to your Mac via USB. Then you'll need to obtain data recovery software.

The best data recovery software in my opinion is "Data Rescue 3". However it's not inexpensive. $99 for the license but you can download a trial version first to see if it can recover the data. Here is the LINK.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did this and I have all my files back! Thanks!

Thanks for posting back and letting us know. A happy ending is always a great way to hear from our members. Have fun and visit us often. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.