Swap files and hdd issues

Reaction score
Hello,

my iBook is running Tiger OSX 10.4.3
I have noticed that even only borwsing the net and listening to the music hdd memory fills up really quickly. I wonder is it because of the swap?

I search the potential swap files and found them under: private/var/vm and there are four files under the title swapfile1, swapfile2, etc. Size of them is eaqual to 128mb. May i delete them or should i keep them?

Furthermore, i'm wonderind does OsX has backup feature, like in windows. Just in oder to restore to previous date OSX backups all the information? If yes, how can i disable this feature in order to prevent space loss.

Thank you for responses

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Paulius said:
Hello,

my iBook is running Tiger OSX 10.4.3
I have noticed that even only borwsing the net and listening to the music hdd memory fills up really quickly. I wonder is it because of the swap?

I search the potential swap files and found them under: private/var/vm and there are four files under the title swapfile1, swapfile2, etc. Size of them is eaqual to 128mb. May i delete them or should i keep them?

Furthermore, i'm wonderind does OsX has backup feature, like in windows. Just in oder to restore to previous date OSX backups all the information? If yes, how can i disable this feature in order to prevent space loss.

Thank you for responses

Do not under any circumstances delete swapfiles (in fact you shouldn't be able to unless you log in as root user).

Swapfiles are not dynamically allocated so they do not grow in size so just leave them alone.

Unlike XP OS X does not have a restore block anywhere so do not worry about that.

What size of hard drive do you have? With the usage you describe you shouldn't be seeing the disk space filling up (well not unless you are downloading huge amounts of music or something).

Amen-Moses

Edited to add:

Make sure you clean out your browser cache regularly and keep the trash emptied as well. Also if you have downloaded any .dmg files and then installed something from them you can delete the .dmg file, ditto for .zip, .gzip or .bz files (and any other archive type files).

I find that I usually end up with all sorts of junk like that lying around along with .wmv files and the like.

OP
P
Reaction score
Amen-Moses said:
What size of hard drive do you have? With the usage you describe you shouldn't be seeing the disk space filling up (well not unless you are downloading huge amounts of music or something).

I have 40 gb hdd.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Paulius said:
I have 40 gb hdd.

My iBook only has 30 and yes it does fill up rather quickly so I tend to do more housekeeping on it that say my 80G Mini or my 500G PowerMac.
:ninja:

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.