Software Update, Please Help

Reaction score
Hi everyone i am new to mac forums and i really need your help please.
I currently own a mac book which is 10.5.8 and i really want to upgrade to snow lepoard however there is really bad reviews on the apple store online about this software update.
However i still want to get it, but before i do i want to back up my mac by using time machine but i found out that you need an external hard drive. So my questions are;

1) what would be a suitable hard drive to get which would be under £50
2) is there any other way which i can back up my mac?

Thank you to any one who can help me.

P.S i am not sure if i posted this in the right thread...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
1) Do you want hard disk upgrade for your mac or an external to backup to

2) A time machine backup would be a good idea before the upgrade (an external disk would be needed)

THere is usually no problems with a snow leopard upgrade, and in fact you should save a few gigs as Snow Leopard is a leaner OS

OP
T
Reaction score
I dont really know the difference :Sleeping: i just want to back it up so i dont lose pictures or documents etc.
yeah i want to do a time machine back up but how do i do it, and i need an external hard drive for it i'm not sure really?

Thank you for the quick reply

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
External hard drive is the way to go and after purchasing a drive you will need a USB/Firewire case to mount it in. Make sure you get a SATA external drive and case. What brand? Take your pick as manufacturers are extremely limited. Seagate and WD are about the market leaders.

Hard drives are dear at the moment because of flooding in Thailand where most factories are.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi, i was reading some threads and they told me not to get a SATA, so once i have purchased an external hard drive i have to mount it? what is that about?

I was thinking about getting this one WESTERN DIGITAL My Passport Essential Portable Hard Drive - 500GB, ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
so once i have purchased an external hard drive i have to mount it? what is that about?

Hard drive comes as if you're going to replace one in a computer. Instead, you mount it in a case that can be connected to a computer.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you :)

Just one more question sorry,
I have brought the wd passport 500gb, and i want to back it up using time machine. Would you recommend this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You bought a new hard drive, right? Are you going to use it as an external drive? If so, use Time Machine(TM) to back up files from your main drive to the external.

Are you putting the new hard drive into your computer? If so, you need another one to have as an external drive to back up files to with TM.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yeah i am going to use it an an external drive, plug it into my usb connection. Yeah i think i am going to use TM to back up files. However i have looked through some youtube videos and it looks simple to set it up so im not worried about that. But say if someone steals my laptop but i still have the external hard drive how will i be able get all my files back up?

Sorry for all of the questions...

You bought a new hard drive, right? Are you going to use it as an external drive? If so, use Time Machine(TM) to back up files from your main drive to the external.

Are you putting the new hard drive into your computer? If so, you need another one to have as an external drive to back up files to with TM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
Yeah i am going to use it an an external drive, plug it into my usb connection. Yeah i think i am going to use TM to back up files. However i have looked through some youtube videos and it looks simple to set it up so im not worried about that. But say if someone steals my laptop but i still have the external hard drive how will i be able get all my files back up?

Sorry for all of the questions...

If you connect it to a other MAC Yes you aces you're files on the external HD

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi someone mentioned something about carbon copy clonner?

They said that if i use time machine i will not be able to reboot it or something like that ?
If you connect it to a other MAC Yes you aces you're files on the external HD

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi can i back up my mac using time machine and super duper on the same external hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you like to have a boot able HD than yes you neat a clone of you're HD .
But the question is is a clone use full on a other MAC ?
In my opinion it will only work if you're new MAC has the same internal hardware .
The carbon cloner make a boot able clone of you're HD even if you wish including the recovery Hd if you are using LION
Also the carbon cloner is very easy to use and it is free , and it can be use as a backup utility too
There is a difference in making a backup of only you're data and apps or the whole system .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi can i back up my mac using time machine and super duper on the same external hard drive?

Than you have to make two separate partitions on on you're backup drive .
One for the Time Machine and one for Super Duper

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you yeah i just found that out lol so i'm looking through you tube.
What one would you recommend superduper or carbon copy clonner?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you yeah i just found that out lol so i'm looking through you tube.

Never use the superdupper all I knew is that the carbon cloner works great

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dobby, you seem to know your stuff, so it's curious that you don't type Mac instead of MAC. Mac is short for Macintosh, so when used in reference to Apple computers, should not be all caps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dobby, you seem to know your stuff, so it's curious that you don't type Mac instead of MAC. Mac is short for Macintosh, so when used in reference to Apple computers, should not be all caps.

Well as somebody long before me once said "What is in a name "
Well even more the intended name was Mcintosch the name of red apple .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD

CCC will allow you to make further incremental backups later on (meaning it updates the backup with only recently changed files, hence taking much less time). Superduper requires a purchase for that feature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For $29 go for SuperDuper. the registered version uses a smart little operation called Smart Backup. A weekly use of this updates any changes/updates made to your system during the week and takes 2-3 minutes. That way you will always have an up-to-date bootable copy of your internal drive.

And CCC is donationware in which the author asks user to make a donation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.