• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Response to Windows VISTA

K

kyle_sloopka

looking at the vista website, i'm irritated at the fact that MS has pretty much copied OSX. yo, sweet creative skills BILL! anyways, anyone know about any new products comming to the market to show MS who's boss?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Your post has been edited for profanity. Please read the forum rules before posting again.

OP
P

prodikal

I know this HAS to be a flame bait post. but come on, "Show MS who's boss?" While the unluckly people who dont have much knowledge about computers may feel or be told MS is the only operating system people who actually care have the knowledge to choose which operating system is best for them based on price, performance, 3rd party support etc... Which is why some people choose Windows, others use linux and other still choose OS-X. In numbers of users and revenue, then yes MS is "the boss."

However if the point of this post was to ask when OS-XI will be out I dont know ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
5259_22.jpg

Yep, it's exacty like OS X. :blind:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
look at it on the bright side... at least it doesnt look as much like xp.

OP
F

faboloso112

here's some light reading for you guys :)

part 1

part 2

part 3 (not yet available, will be soon though)

i agree with what the authors says in this. part of what he said is windows ANNOUNCED some of the features first...but didn't implement until now. as opposed to apple...
now i didn't want to finish that last sentence because i dont know if they 'stole' windows ideas or they were just able to implement it faster. but if you look back to some of the keynote speakers and the points they made years ago, you'll see that the features were announced to be mart of MS OS much earlier than macs.

p.s. im not a mac hater, nor am i a windows fanboy. i own both. i appreciate both sides and like what each offers. so please dont flame me if you feel my postings are anti-mac or something. thank you :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dan828 said:

I don't think I'd say that. I don't think it looks much like OS X. It looks like a more translucent version of Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
schweb said:
I don't think I'd say that. I don't think it looks much like OS X. It looks like a more translucent version of Windows.

Yes translucent but you got to admit the search is a lot like spotlight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perhaps, but it can go the other way also. I just refuse to jump on the "Let's Bash Windows for fun" bandwagon. I think it's juvenile.

OP
L

lil

In some manner of speaking, lets hope Windows Vista is good, and does have things that trip up Tiger, it will stop Apple from resting on their laurels (Oh if I had a penny for every computer that did that I'd be rich... well maybe not), and not only that enevitably unless the world turns on its axis tomorrow we will encounter it in the workplace in the coming years and have to use it.

I still prefer OS X, the interface etc.; but anything MS can do to make Vista and beyond squeeze OS X, the better for innovation's sake. Besides there are some genuinely good ideas, WinFS -- a SQL queriable based file system; which I think is a fab idea; won't be in Vista now but you think how quick Spotlight could be with it being able to just excute a SQL query to find info. Spotlight isn't slow now though...

Either way, Apple cannot afford to rest on its laurels. It has been done before and despite being the best, fell from grace to complete obscurity in that time. One computer comes to mind - Amiga. Where are they now? Probably working out the back of a workshop in Barking, East London :flower:

Vicky

Reaction score
With the risk of getting killed in this forum, I would like to say I find windows XP much easier to use then OSX!
But I have been using windows for much longer.

I would however say Mac OSX has that "COOL" Factor and when friends that are windows users look at my Mac for the first time (yes there are still plenty of people who have not seen Mac OSX running or have used it (HARD TO BELIEVE))
They like freak out, HOW COOL DOES THAT LOOK!!,
The smile comes off their face when they try to use it and have no idea!!

As for Vista it looks nothing like OSX to me, just like XP service pack 3 with touch off paint,(although from what i read its a huge upgrade from XP) although the static screens only can show you so much, it actually looks a lot cooler running!!

As for Vista's search being like spotlight? I don’t think so, Vista's search seems much more advanced and so it should be its coming out after tiger. Vista's search has a lot of filter options; let’s hope the next spotlight does to!!

I have watched Apple keynotes where they bag how long it is taking for Vista to come out, but for me XP is rock solid and almost a perfect OS.
No it don’t have the razzle dazzle of OSX and I don’t think Windows ever will because a fair share of windows markets are businesses and corporations that don’t need all this gloss.

I love OSX but XP has been good to me for 4+ years now, which is good for my pocket, because one thing that I don’t like about Apple is I have to buy a New OS every year, they should release new OS's every 3 years and make everything else just a service pack or update for FREE, like say you should have panther and be able to patch and update to tiger spec OS for free!!
and bring out a major upgrade every 3 years.
Just my 2 cents

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
macanal said:
I love OSX but XP has been good to me for 4+ years now, which is good for my pocket, because one thing that I don’t like about Apple is I have to buy a New OS every year, they should release new OS's every 3 years and make everything else just a service pack or update for FREE, like say you should have panther and be able to patch and update to tiger spec OS for free!!
and bring out a major upgrade every 3 years.
Just my 2 cents
If you look the whole scheme of thing. Apple is doing what you said. The major updates are 10.X and the free updates (service packs) are 10.X.x. As for release schedules, the release was to be about 18 months. Then came the change to Intel, that made a change to the release cycle.

What I have seen in my business, not everyone is on board with windows XP, most are still using windows 2000 pro. If everything is working will with any OS, you don't need to upgrade, unless some software you use is forcing you to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
dan828 said:

i disagree, i don't think it looks like OSX at all. just a cleaner look of XP.

and enough of "they are stealing/copying this" nonsense....... both OS's learn some good ideas from one another and implement them to their best advantage. some things XP does better, some things OSX does better. only when it comes out will we truly know what Vista does really well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
scooter said:
i disagree, i don't think it looks like OSX at all. just a cleaner look of XP.

and enough of "they are stealing/copying this" nonsense....... both OS's learn some good ideas from one another and implement them to their best advantage. some things XP does better, some things OSX does better. only when it comes out will we truly know what Vista does really well.

LOL. I know, I was being ironic, hence the blind smiley. It doesn't look a thing like OS X. I've played with it a bit and it's a lot like windows XP. The spotlight comment above is also silly, because there were several other indexed search programs around prior to Apple implementing it in Tiger.

All in all I seem to see a lot of Mac users see some feature that is new to Apple, and then see it elsewhere and then accuse the non-apple program of ripping off Apple, when at times it has been Apple that has ripped the feature off from someone else and the Mac fans just weren't aware of it, or the people that they are accusing of ripping off Apple are actually ripping off some other company that Apple ripped off previously. A friend of mine a while back saw me using Mozilla and said something to the effect of how it was ripping off Safari with the search feature. I just laughed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Looks nothing like OSX?
Check the dock.

vn4.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Stanford gave us the mouse and copy-and-paste.
Xerox gave us windowing, a desktop, icons, and menus on a bitmapped display.
Apple gave us menu bars, double-clicking, click-and-drag, self-configuring networking, and the Trash can.
The Amiga gave us integrated multimedia.
OS/2 gave us right-click context menus.
NeXTStep gave us the Dock and device-independent display.
Silicon Graphics gave us integrated 3D.
BeOS gave us fast metadata search.
Apple gave us GPU-accellerated display.
Unix has given us so much.

Microsoft has copied it all, and given us...the integrated HTML browser.

OP
L

lil

The one thing I can't get over that UI is the silly close/maximise/minimise buttons, they just look wrong for some reason.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
DCraver said:
Looks nothing like OSX?
Check the dock.

vn4.jpg

You've been hoaxed. There is no dock included with Vista-- there are some third party programs around, but MS doesn't ship it. From what I can glean from that website you took the picture from, it is a forum with info about OS customization-- likely it is someone showing Vista running a third party program called Object Dock that has been around for some time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
dan828 said:
You've been hoaxed. There is no dock included with Vista-- there are some third party programs around, but MS doesn't ship it. From what I can glean from that website you took the picture from, it is a forum with info about OS customization-- likely it is someone showing Vista running a third party program called Object Dock that has been around for some time.

thank you! i was about to say that...lol! :yinyang: i used a dock app many years ago in windows, but i couldn't get quite used to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.