• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Response to Windows VISTA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
technologist said:
Stanford gave us the mouse and copy-and-paste.
Xerox gave us windowing, a desktop, icons, and menus on a bitmapped display.
Apple gave us menu bars, double-clicking, click-and-drag, self-configuring networking, and the Trash can.
The Amiga gave us integrated multimedia.
OS/2 gave us right-click context menus.
NeXTStep gave us the Dock and device-independent display.
Silicon Graphics gave us integrated 3D.
BeOS gave us fast metadata search.
Apple gave us GPU-accellerated display.
Unix has given us so much.

Microsoft has copied it all, and given us...the integrated HTML browser.

I don't think anybody could have put it any better.....

You are my hero Technologist... :black:

OP
J

john_

technologist - your on to something there...

It looks like OSX with its curves... (AHEM) however having converted to OSX i have to say, it would not make we want to go back to windows....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
DCraver said:
Looks nothing like OSX?
Check the dock.

vn4.jpg

Tell microsoft to be a little more creative with their shortcuts next time....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
technologist said:
Stanford gave us the mouse and copy-and-paste.
Xerox gave us windowing, a desktop, icons, and menus on a bitmapped display.
Apple gave us menu bars, double-clicking, click-and-drag, self-configuring networking, and the Trash can.
The Amiga gave us integrated multimedia.
OS/2 gave us right-click context menus.
NeXTStep gave us the Dock and device-independent display.
Silicon Graphics gave us integrated 3D.
BeOS gave us fast metadata search.
Apple gave us GPU-accellerated display.
Unix has given us so much.

Microsoft has copied it all, and given us...the integrated HTML browser.

Its the original I idea I got across when I wrote a paper a year ago:

All ideas for any software were meant to be free but in todays world thats all changed.

Reaction score
I wish OSX would copy windows resize from any side of the window function.

Resizing from the bottom right hand corner is a pain in the *ss

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook 12", ipod photo 20gig
DCraver said:
Looks nothing like OSX?
Check the dock.

vn4.jpg
i don't know, still feels a bit cluttered to me
why do you need that dock when you still have the start button?
but then again, i don't care, i wouldn't use it anyway.

OP
L

lil

As noted the dock does not come with Vista, that's probably ObjectDock from Stardock or whatever their name is, or that freeware one Apple sent a cease and desist notice to, Y'zdock or something...

However I agree with the cluttered sentiment, my issue when looking at Vista screenshots is that it just looks fiddly and some features will be missed by the nature of fiddly bits and pieces.

That and the whole authentication when installing apps etc. subsystem on Vista is nothing more than a after thought and kludge.

That said I will spare my thought until when it is released. However, even then, there is no chance of me switching to Windows. Of course I shall be most interested to see what Apple conjeurs up for Leopard...

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC Pro, ESX server, & 17" G4 Powerbook
Response to Windows

First off I must it does not look like MAC OSX. It looks like an enhanced interface to XP. And let’s say even if they did copy somewhat, are you going to tell me that the roles have not been reversed in the past at times? Now I am a MAC user by heart and I prefer my MAC then to my counterpart XP. However I have had more problems with my MAC (Tiger) then I have had with XP. Sure in XP I have more patching to do and more viruses, that is true. However my XP has been more stable than Tiger certainly has been. Take they day I upgraded more then ½ of my 3rd party products did not work I had to wait for patches some did not come out until 10.4.3. That never happens to XP, I upgrade and everything just works. Now I am not trying to toot Microsoft’s horn here but I am tired of hearing that Microsoft sucks. They don’t, they have some nice stuff as well. Apple markets differently and yes more people are switching to MAC. But I will always have a Microsoft box alongside my MAC and I will be buying Vista when it comes out. But do not underestimate Vista it is going to give Tiger a serious run for its money. I think both products are great and I do prefer Apple. However people at times ask me what kind of computer to buy and I ask them “what do you want to do”? Pending on their response, I tell them what to get and why, and yes I have told people to buy a PC. Enjoy both OS’s they both have a lot to offer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
well what can ya say, i bet it will still have more virus' then OSX

OP
L

lil

Though the greatest weakness of any system will always be the complacency of its operator...

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
Though the greatest weakness of any system will always be the complacency

^ indeed.

My windows machine has never gotten a virus, and that's because I'm wary of them. Then again, my (dad's) Mac rocks my PC. Why? I like Mac being the underdog. It's called Security through Obscurity. More viruses are made for windows, even if you don't get them.

And you must realize, some of the new features like Virtual Folders in Vista are copied off of Tiger. Virtual Folder = Smart Folder.

This is why I'm saving up for an iBook... it will perform to my needs (which is most important) and it seems that Tiger is already ahead of XP, and Vista is made to compete with Tiger, but then Leopard will come out, and it will start the cycle all over again. Mark my words

OP
K

Kamikaze

Apple and Microsoft aren't even in competition with each other...that's a figment of all your imaginations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
...they both sell operating systems.

competition: n Rivalry. Similar businesses providing similar products or services to potential customers.

OP
S

somewhatmused

gates can do what ever he wants, he basically owns mac, he bailed them out a few years ago, so he can take their os and do what he wants with it essentially.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They are in competition but neither have actually said so where as the microsoft chairman actually said "We will crush Google".

OP
S

somewhatmused

no dude, microsoft basically owns mac, they dont have to be in competition

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Microsoft does not currently own any stock in Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
somewhatmused said:
gates can do what ever he wants, he basically owns mac, he bailed them out a few years ago, so he can take their os and do what he wants with it essentially]

Are you planning on continuing to make silly claims and look stupid, or do you have some secret set of "facts" to back up your poor grammar with?

Apple and MS parted ways several years back (2001 IIRC) after MSs 5 year deal came to an end. While MS DID bail Apple out in a tight spot, they also benefitted from being able to point out to the US Department of Justice (US DOJ) that Apple was still alive and MS was helping them, therefore they were NOT a monopoly. Contrary to you baseless claims to the contrary, MS can not "take their os and do what he wants with it essentially" because they don't own it. They don't own any part of it. Period.

Microsoft owns no part of Apple, holds no controlling stake and pulls no strings with Apple (The companies name is Apple, not Mac). Apples current CEO has not sought to renew any ties with MS and is not particularly cooperative with them.

While MS currently holds the largest share of the desktop market in the world, Apple is still thriving company, with a growing market share, that is making money hand over foot and continues to increase my stock value almost daily.

OP
D

DigitalN.

baggss said:
Are you planning on continuing to make silly claims and look stupid, or do you have some secret set of "facts" to back up your poor grammar with?

Apple and MS parted ways several years back (2001 IIRC) after MSs 5 year deal came to an end. While MS DID bail Apple out in a tight spot, they also benefitted from being able to point out to the US Department of Justice (US DOJ) that Apple was still alive and MS was helping them, therefore they were NOT a monopoly. Contrary to you baseless claims to the contrary, MS can not "take their os and do what he wants with it essentially" because they don't own it. They don't own any part of it. Period.

Microsoft owns no part of Apple, holds no controlling stake and pulls no strings with Apple (The companies name is Apple, not Mac). Apples current CEO has not sought to renew any ties with MS and is not particularly cooperative with them.

While MS currently holds the largest share of the desktop market in the world, Apple is still thriving company, with a growing market share, that is making money hand over foot and continues to increase my stock value almost daily.
except that new Apple and Office deal that they just signed for 5 years. :)

Reaction score
Apple and Microsoft are not competing.
Apple is 90% Hardware Company.
The only reason Apple has an OS and apps are to run their hardware.

Until Apple release Mac OSX for PC’s they are truly not in direct competition.

Windows has 93% of the market of personal computers and just 7% for the rest including Apple so even if you put that whole 7% together they are not really a serious competitor.
Why do you think they bust M$ balls over monopoly!?? caus they ownz it..

I think M$ will be No1 until someone has the sack to take them on and beat them at their own game.
The only company that I think can do that is Apple!!
So get some Nuts Steve Jobs!! Take on M$, if your product is that much better like you keep banging on about, you should be able to take on and beat M$. Maybe he is just scared to do that.

The thing is Apple was dead not long ago and now Apple is in fashion like the late 70's and 80's. BUT I think Apple can go out of fashion as quickly as it comes back into fashion.
The thing is Windows is here to stay as much as we hate it!! Until someone takes them on.
the whole truth is if the courts were not busting M$ balls over monopoly, Apple would have been bought out a long time ago.
Which is not fair to M$ caus if the compeditors are not good and cant keep up, thats their fault

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.