Google Chrome Won't Play Web MP3's, Must Download

Reaction score
I'm using Google Chrome, which will play some MP3s, e.g., Amazon song clips, but when I click on an MP3 on a web site, I have to download the file to my computer and then play it from there.

Does anyone know if there's a fix or workaround for this so I can simply click an MP3 on the web and Chrome will open it in iTunes (or any other app)?

TIA!
Mark

C

chas_m

I just tested this using SRWare Iron (basically Chromium without the privacy issues). I went to an MP3 blog (saidthegramophone.com) and pressed on a random play button for a song there (it played). I also clicked on the associated MP3 link, which asked me for permission to use the QuickTime plugin and then played the song on screen in MP3 form.

So I'm inclined to say the problem is on your end, quite possibly you just need to update the Flash plug-in. If I had opted to right-click and downloaded the MP3 I can set iTunes as the default opener for that, which has the effect of adding the song automatically to iTunes.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion. I tried to update it, and it said Chrome has and automatically updates the Flash player. I can play MP3's from some sites, e.g., my own, I'm thinking it's just one particular site--done by an IT professional, but he's a Windows only guy.

C

chas_m

I'm inclined to agree with your assessment. Not sure how he's managed to cook up MP3s that don't play, but apparently there's something about them Chrome doesn't like.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.