Think I broke /usr/local

LWA

Reaction score
This is embarrassing. Mysql ended up installed in the wrong spot, so I created (I know, I know) /usr/local/mysql and attempted to cp mysql to /usr/local/mysql, but ended up with a link in /usr/local/mysql.

I retried using mv instead of cp (move mysql into /usr/local/mysql) and also ended up with a link, so I just rm -rf'ed /usr/local/mysql (leaving /usr/local in place) and am planning to get rid of all traces of mysql and start over, this time installing in a better spot.

However, since messing around in /usr/local, I'm having all manner of trouble, so far including that I can't upgrade the Logitech Media Server (nor use the prior version that was working fine two days ago) and I also can't upgrade iTunes, as I was prompted to do today. (I'm getting this: The following install step failed: run preupgrade script for AppleMobileDeviceSupport.)

My OS is 10.5.8. I contemplated reinstalling the OS using the disks that came with my Mac originally, but there was some complaint due to versions/upgrade level.

I will accept all scoldings about tinkering in /usr/local and will also welcome advice about how to put the Mac back in a good mood so I can upgrade iTunes and Logitech.

Is there anything to be done under current OS? Would upgrading to Lion via Snow Leopard set things right? TIA.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.