Picky Powermac G5 very strange problems

Reaction score
So, I have a dual processor 2.0Ghz Powermac G5, it has been absolutely fantastic for the past 6 or seven years, running with 5 GB of ram in the form of 2 sets of 2 256mb pieces, and 2 sets of 2 1gb ram pieces, totaling to 5gb with 8 pieces. Anyway, it began to have stability issues a year ago and it got replaced with a macpro. But I still want to use this G5 if possible for a home recordin studio and non intensive internet stuffs.

So heres the problem. When it starts up, it may or may not boot passed the white screen with the apple, and it may or may not remember that the date is not 1969. If it boots up, it may or may not go to sleep properly, and more times than not, it will freeze and rev the fans up.

I cleaned the processors and applied new thermal compound, and obveously reseated them.

No change.

Then I reset PRAM.

Don't really remember too clearly, but I believe there was no change.

Then I replaced the PRAM battery.

No change.

Then I started messing arround with ram. I know each processor needs the exact same maching ram piece, so I started playing with pairs of ram. Upon testing different matched sets, I found something interesting. Different pieces will give me different problems.

One of the sets of 256 pieces will not boot past the white apple. either it just stops and the fans will rev up, or the apple will turn into an error symbol.

The other 256 pieces actally seem to work ish. They usually allow me to boot and the system seems pretty stable, but every once in a while I will encounter a problem when booting up.

Both sets of 1gb pieces sometimes boot, but usually don't and if they do boot, the system freezes after about 2 or 3 minutes and the fans rev up.

So all you geniuses out there, whats my problem?

Upon doing some research, before doing my RAM experiments, I have found similar issues that seem to be either because of a bad processor, or a bad logic board. but the ram findings kinda threw me off. I was hoping it was a bad processor because replacements seem to be pretty cheap on ebay right now, but I'm not so sure anymore

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Run Apple Hardware Test from original DVD/CD 1 or 2 (it says on the face if it has AHT).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
It sounds like a failing hard drive to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Boot from the System install disc and go into Utilities > Disk Utility and run Repair Disk there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.