• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

All I want to do is burn DVD's from my SDHC HD camcorder

Reaction score
I have a JVC camcorder with a SDHC memory card in it. I have a imac 10,1 with the 28" (i think) screen. I can not for the life of me figure out how to burn my home movies to a disc? I first bought Verbatim 16x 4.7GB disc and when I inserted the disc it would make some noises and after about 30 seconds or so it would spit it back out? I read somewhere that a 16x speed may not work so I bought Sony DVD-R disc that say 1-16x and the disc stay in longer but will pop out after everything is said and done. What do I need to do to burn my movies to a DVD? I have idvd and imovie. Also the file size seems very large per clip. If a dvd-r only holds 4.7GB then a 6min movie file is close to that?

C

chas_m

If the optical drive is rejecting discs. Then I gotta stop you right there. That's the big problem. Sounds like the optical drive has a fault.

The NORMAL procedure for something like this would be to copy the video files from the memory card to the hard drive, convert the movie if necessary into MP4 or AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) using something like MPEG Streamclip, store it in the Movies folder, open iMovie, edit as you like, "share" the project to iDVD and burn from there.

OP
C
Reaction score
How do I check the optical drive? I just downloaded streamclip and am in the process of converting my mov. files to MPEG4. It takes a very long time!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.