Preparing iMac For Sale

Reaction score
As some may have noticed I've decided to defer some of the cost of the purchase of my new PC by selling my 2008 24" iMac.

How to Prepare a Used Mac for Sale — Apple News, Tips and Reviews

That's the best link I have found (I think) for preparing an iMac for sale. But it talks a lot about back up, which I'm sure most people want to do. I have 28 gb of music in iTunes, I definitely want that backed up.

Well, like so many others now I use a cloud to do this, I use Amazon. I paid an extra $20.00 for 50 gb more but I guess when Google made their cloud free Amazon said whoops, and shot me a refund. On my Android phone my playlists and all my music show backed up by Amazon. So that's one issue solved.

Documents? Well I think that Office 10 does convert .ODT files now. I have no idea how a PC moves stuff around but what I intend to do is use Drop Box and Google Documents for back up of my documents. I also use Gmail, not iMail.

My only question I have is what happens when I restore the OS? Will it be OS Lion? Because if that's the case I'd love to toss in a copy of VMware and a Vista Disk as well. But if it restores back to Leopard I think that will be 32 bit and VMware may not be compatible.

Anybody know? Thanks for your help in advance. Mods if I'm in the wrong area, well, you know what to do. That didn't sound right. Please move it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See signature
Where are you restoring the OS from? The original disks that came with the Mac?

Seondly, you are planning are relying exclusively on a "cloud" based backup(s)? What were you previously backing up your Mac to? Don't you have an external drive? If not, you should consider one...

OP
H
Reaction score
Where are you restoring the OS from? The original disks that came with the Mac?

Seondly, you are planning are relying exclusively on a "cloud" based backup(s)? What were you previously backing up your Mac to? Don't you have an external drive? If not, you should consider one...

Sorry I'm late getting back to you. I could have sworn I subscribed to this thread. Anyway I have a 1 tb backup for my iMac, I don't know what that has to do with my question. I have it hoooked up to Time Machine now but I will probably format it and use it with my PC.

I pland on following the instructions on the link I provided above and offerring my copy of snow leopard, uninstalled along with the iMac at this time.

PC arrived on Friday and I could not get my Mac to let im , a problem my wife has had for sometime. I ended up manually moving my important files via drop box. I installed a copy of Quicken and moved my back up ov er to the PC. So tomorrow I will probably bring it down to stock, make sure I have everything I want off of it. I have a lot of stuff to install in th PC for use with my TiVo.

I successfully restored all my music using Amazon's cloud as a back up and yes, I see nothing wrong with Clouds for back up for music.

First thing the PC asked me to do was make a back up of the origingal OS and guess what? It failed, lol. The wireless mouse just isn't as sweet as the Magic Mouse. I kind of forgot about a lot of the basic uses of PC so my wife had to help me here and there. It's not as nice as a Mac but it iwll serve my needs nicely.

iMac will go up for sale in two weeks. If anybody can tell me if there is a way to keep Windows and VMware for next user I"d like to know. Thanks in advance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.