"Name" & "Password" required

Reaction score
:p
"Name"/"Password" appear to be required to begin using a Power Mac G4 donated to us.

Our non-profit education corp was donated this like-new Power Mac G4 not long ago. We've attempted to use it, but keep getting: "Name" or "Password" areas that clearly are meant to be filled in.

The problem is that we have no clue what these two might bits of info be and have tried to track back to the giver with no success. We sure want to use this gift, but need to either know (which we don't)--or reset--this info in order to begin.

What can we do?

CHOICES

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can reset the name and password but you need the install disk for the machine. Did you receive the install disk with it? And do you know which version of OS X it has on it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, 15", iCore 7, 8GB, Thunderbolt Display
you can also update to lion and download it from the app store if you can enter the mac over the recovery menu. does that work?

OP
S
Reaction score
Reply to chscag & TheMacMania,

Thx, chscag. Nope. No disk came with the computer.
I'll check to see which version of OS X it has tomorrow & let you know--if I can get into it.

And, TheMacMania, we have no earthly clue how to enter the Mac thru the "recovery menu". Will you tell us how to do this? Also, regarding updating to Lion, we'll need to look into cost.

Thank you both for such quick responses!
It's wonderful to know people are "out there" to help groups like ours.

Cyberhugs to both of you!

Smiling.woman
CHOICES, Inc.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanx dobby,

I would gladly try that, but I have no clue what you mean by "Single User Mode". We've not ever had this problem before with donated computers, so really aren't very savvy about this kind of problem

What's happening is just a background upon opening, then a center square with the two spaces. When we type anything in it, it "shakes" out the password--kinda funny to see, but also frustrating. :>)

Smiling.Woman

C

chas_m

There is no way on this Earth that a PowerMac G4 is ever going to be upgraded to Lion. Ignore that bit.

To fix the password issue, you're going to need to reset the password. This is going to require a retail copy of an old version of OS X, which will be quite hard to find. I'd recommend going for a copy of Tiger (10.4) if you can find a RETAIL (black) disc of it on sites such as Ebay or Amazon.

You might also check with the local Mac User Group if there's one near you, I'd imagine you'd find lots of people willing to help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
The single user mode or the safe mode can be reach by starting the computer while you hold down the command key and the S key at the same time
What you see on the screen while you are there is this > sign meaning you're at the command prompt .
It should allow you to enter commands .
Remember that it make a different between capital and not capital alpha signs .
After each command you have type you should enter it with the enter button ,
And if you are done enter the the command sudo shutdown -r now

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi to you, chas_m, up there in the cold(er) north:

Your comment "no way on this earth" made sense...also made me smile.
Also, trying to locate a "Tiger (10.4) if you can find a RETAIL (black) disc" through a Mac Users' group sounds like a productive possibility. We'd rather not have to buy a copy of OS 10.4, as we simply don't have the funds to do so. We're an all-volunteer non-profit org and operate very, very close to the bone.

Thank you for passing on this possibility. I'm definitely going to follow up on it.

smiling.woman *smiling*

Back to you, dobby...

I was with you right up 'til "command sudo shutdown -r ".
Do you mean to use the Apple pull-down menu to "Shut Down" while holding down the "r" key?
Or to type in "s u d o +r"? Gack! I feel so "blond"!

And--although I know this is going to sound really un-savvy--what commands will I be entering? And how will I know whether to capitalize an alpha sign or not? Will I be copying something presented on the desktop--being careful to type it exactly as it's presented, should that be the case? Arrrrgh! Sure wish I understood more! I've been fortunate to be able to simply use the Macs we have, never needing any fixing or commanding.

I'm soon off to work, so I'll try this first thing. At least I'll be in a position of more familiarity with what appears on the screen.

Thanks for your kind help.

smiling.woman (now frowning in slight confusion)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
When you are in the single user mode or the save mode a lot of system services are not running
Because it used to repair a system or change the password if you forget it
First sudo is short for super user .
Only the super user is allowed to make changes to the system .
So the full command is sudo shutdown -r now

OP
S
Reaction score
Okay, dobby!

I'm going to give that a try...as soon as I catch some winks, as I've been up all nite researching this problem (& playing Word Feud scrabble on my iPhone in between).

I've also sent an email to the closest Mac Users group which is in Salem, asking if someone in their group might have the designated start-up disk.

Just trying to cover all bases...

Thanks one more time, :>)

Smiling.Woman

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.