• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can Anyone Suggest a Good Video File Manager?

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I'm importing all of my old home movie tapes to a hard drive. I'd like a good program to organize and sort these once they are all imported. Can anyone suggest a good program to do this?

I use Plex for my movies but these are personal home movie files. I feel like using that would be going overboard. Just looking for something simple and reliable. I googled this question and came across Miro. It looks ok but I feel like there is something better out there. Features like categorizing groups of files, writing content descriptions, and sharing between computers on the network would be a major plus. A free program would be ideal but I'm willing to pay for one that will work the best.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Any reason why iTunes won't meet your needs?

OP
F
Reaction score
Any reason why iTunes won't meet your needs?

I thought about just using iTunes but I'd like to see if there is a program built more exclusively towards what I'm thinking. Like a program better suited for grouping videos into main categories and expanding from there. Also writing large descriptions and whatnot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, 15", iCore 7, 8GB, Thunderbolt Display
except expanding i think you can do all with iTunes - no problem writing large descriptions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 13 MacBook Pro, 11" MacBook Air, 64G iPad, iPhone 4
Stay with iTunbes

I stick with iTunes. It does everything I need and has the advantage that it is easy to copy any video to iPhone or iPad plus they all show up on the TV with my AppleTV2. Apart from that I can't see the point in using more programs than I need.

Reaction score
I came across this iPhoto-like video manager named Cosmos and was wondering if anyone had any first-hand experience with it.
Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.