HD Permissions - Apply to Enclosed

Reaction score
So earlier today I was having problems with photoshop, tt was giving me a permissions error. I spent several hours looking up the problem online without any luck.

In my frustration I noticed that my user account (which is also the admin account) was listed as "Read Only" in the permissions on the Macintosh HD so I changed it to "Read and Write" and without thinking also clicked the "Apply to Enclosed".

I realized that this was probably a HUGE mistake after it took forever to apply the changes. Can anybody help me out with letting me know what kind of problems have a I caused? Will the repair permissions help at all? Should I reinstall Lion?

Photoshop is working now, but I am guessing that I have a bigger problem on my hands?

Thanks!

OP
E
Reaction score
Just had a thought...

Would it fix any potential problems if I created a new user account, made that the administrator and then deleted my current user?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Boot the machine with your install DVD, go to Disk Utility and select "Repair Permissions". Or download the free OnyX utility and use it to repair permissions. No need to create another admin account.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.