Thunderbolt booting windows/linux

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a Late 2011 Macbook pro. For the hard disk, I currently have a 120GB SSD in my mac (aftermarket from other world computing). Its blazingly fast, but there's not a lot of room for "stuff." Right now I have steam putting things on an external hard disk, as well as itunes.

However, for work purposes I would really like to be able to tri-boot my laptop (windows, and linux). After doing some research people are pointing to thunderbolt external devices as being bootable, so maybe I have some hope.

Has anyone played with installing windows or linux on these guys? I've been scouring the net trying to find information and I haven't seen anything. 600$ (western digital duo) is a lot of cash to shell out for something that may not work - but if I can install windows and linux externally, I'll buy one this very minute.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Forget about putting Windows on any external drive whether it be Thunderbolt capable or not. It simply can not be done and would violate the MS EULA. Linux, however, can be placed on an external and booted from it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Forget about putting Windows on any external drive whether it be Thunderbolt capable or not. It simply can not be done and would violate the MS EULA. Linux, however, can be placed on an external and booted from it.

It simply cannot be done in the world of Mac I assume you mean? Because it can most certainly be done elsewhere (for example SANs, SCSI and DAS storage have been used to do this for years, and its even possible with some eSATA controllers). The only thing you need to do is include the correct driver for the controller that the OS is talking to (hence the "load a driver" option in most versions of windows). And I don't think it would violate the MS EULA - not sure how you're drawing that conclusion. Can you explain?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Microsoft has strictly prevented any version of Windows from being installed to an external drive. It's an anti-piracy prevention measure. I know there are work arounds and have seen them posted on the net for years. However, that does not make them legal or right. Contact MS and ask if you doubt what I'm stating here. You can Google their full EULA legal terms and read up if you choose but it's easier to just contact them and ask.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.