Iphone 4s wont play in JVC car stereo

Reaction score
I just had a JVC KD-S28 installed in my car. When hooking up my Iphone to the USB the deck reads " cannot play". After researching this problem it seems it is very common post Iphone firmware 3.2.1. People began to see compatibility issues when apple first went to software 4.0 in 2009. This is 2012 i would of assumed apple would of fixed this bug by now. On the JVC stereo box it says iphone compatible.

I tried a soft reset on the phone, restarting the phone, to no avail. I will be very upset if i just spent $200 on a radio system just so i could use my ipod and then it wont work....

If anyone has had this experience please let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
There were big changes between iOS versions 3 and 4. From what I've found online, it looks like you are out of luck and if you spent $200 on it, you were way overcharged.

C

chas_m

I just had a JVC KD-S28 installed in my car. When hooking up my Iphone to the USB the deck reads " cannot play". After researching this problem it seems it is very common post Iphone firmware 3.2.1. People began to see compatibility issues when apple first went to software 4.0 in 2009. This is 2012 i would of assumed apple would of fixed this bug by now.

Bzzt! Wrong approach.

The problem here isn't with Apple. It's with JVC. You should contact THEM about fixing the problem.

In the meantime, if you have an AUX port on that thing, a two-ended minijack headphone cord should fix you right up.

Reaction score
Solution to one bug

I identified one of the bugs that causes the "CANNOT PLAY" message.

There must be at least one song file loaded on the phone with iTunes (accessible in the Music app) to not receive the "CANNOT PLAY" message.

This becomes significant if you're trying to play music out of other apps (like Pandora), but there is no other music actually loaded on the phone.

My guess is car stereo is looking for at least one file, and the iPhone pretends to be like a USB stick with its Music files on it. When you start playing other audio, it pretends to be other virtual files or something, but for the initial handshake at least one file seems to be required.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.