USB Drive - The Most Bizarre Issue - Please Help!!

Reaction score
Hey, I've got a really bizarre issue and it would be great if someone could help:

- I had a fully functioning USB drive formatted as NTFS (compressed) and working on Mac
- Suddenly folders were showing but when i went into the folders it showed no files, as if empty, however the size and file numbers on the drive remained the same so I knew the files were still there
- I've plugged the drive into a windows machine and bingo, the folder and file structure shows up, are accessible and I can delete, copy, change, modify etc
- Using windows I copied all files and folders onto a freshly formatted drive and then plugged it into the Mac but again the same original problem (apparent empty folders)
- I've copied a couple of files from the original drive to the windows desktop, renamed them and copied them onto the new drive and these showed on windows. Then plugged the drive into my mac and a 2nd mac and still files not showing
- I copied a couple of files from the windows machine that had not been on the original problem drive onto the NTFS formatted drive and these showed up when connected to the Mac
- Finally I copied a couple of these 'ghost' files onto a FAT32 formatted drive on windows and then they showed up on the Mac but this is really not a long term solution. NTFS does work on my Mac due to software I installed and it allows for files bigger than 4Gb

I'm really at a complete loss with this issue. Are the original files on the drive corrupt? I don't think so as they work on PC and when on a FAT32 drive. Have I inadvertently changed something on the drive that causes this issue with the files on the drive?

I'm not a total computer expert but am pretty tech savy and this issue just has me totally baffled. Please help if you have any ideas.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
What happens if you use NTFS but without compression?

It sounds as though whatever NTFS solution you are using on your Mac is having issues with NTFS compressed

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.