How is this possible? Can anyone answer this...

Reaction score
Here is the situation - a friend of mine took a photo on their iPhone and sent it to me via iMessage. I received it and they deleted it from their phone.

Some weeks later, their housemate sent the picture to him. It contained the time, date, my number and words that were included in the message.

How is it possible that someone else was able to obtain this SMS (via iMessage) weeks down the track and send it to him?

Is there some sort of hacking here or how do you explain it?

The photo was also deleted from the phone as soon as the iMessage (SMS) was sent.

A lot of communications between me and this person transpired, yet just this one message (picture and text) was "extracted" somehow some weeks later.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The obvious answer is to ask the someone that sent this seemingly deleted message.

There is a huge 'human' factor in the story you've told, which is the most likely point of failure here. Someone thinking they deleted something but didn't, someone had physical access to the phone etc etc.

From a technology point of view the photo may have reached photostream, a stream someone else may have had access to but that wouldn't encompass the date/time/message details unless a screen shot had been taken. Were the phones jailbroken?

So many if's buts and maybes but, I'd suggest, the issue is unlikely to be 'hacking' is so much as someone getting remote access to the exchange between two devices in this case

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks Mrplow.

The phones are not jailbroken.

The person who got the SMS, may have had access to the phone for a limited period, but then they could have pulled other SMS's etc - which they did not - and I would have expected they would have pulled others if they had the ability too.

They got hold of the SMS weeks later and said it was sent to them by someone.

The facts are, the picture was taken, the SMS was sent via iMessage and both were then deleted from the phone.

I understand the whole "restore back-up" piece, but this was not done.

OP
T
Reaction score
Can the extraction methods to pull SMS's either via iTunes or third party software work with iMessages or pure SMS's MMS's?

C

chas_m

"sent to them by someone" -- sounds like you need to track "someone" down and ask them, doesn't it?

PS. Just as with computers, "delete" is not the same thing as "erase."

Reaction score
Never heard of that happening before that would suggest it was a human rather than a technical problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.