Snow leopard updates freeze max msp and other music software

Reaction score
Every time I do an osx snow leopard automatic update my system becomes unresponsive, specially to max msp and other music software including DP7, Logic, reaktor and Ableton live and gives me the spinning ball for the majority of the time. The latest security update a week ago did the same. Why do I get this with every update. I am using an imac which is a year and a half old. The previous update to this recent one did the same, but a few days later they released v1.1 which fixed the problem, but they haven't released a similar fix for this latest one.

If I do a clean re-install to 10.3 it works fine again, but I can't keep doing this as it makes my music making experience more hassle than productive. I need an up to date system so I can run the latest software, but if I update, it becomes unresponsive again.

Anyone here have a clue? I have tried to look it up, but all I can find is recommendations on doing a clean re-install, which isn't the answer. What is causing this problem every time.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.