Best way to clean mold off my Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 15" MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz 185 GB HD (don't ask, I can't explain!)
We've had a mold problem due to last year's humidity which unfortunately affected nearly all of my belongings. My computer was even giving me a bad reaction until I cleaned off the outside of it. I have a darker colored Speck cover on it, which I just removed to take out the battery (trying to resolve another issue - My OS won't boot!). On the inside of the cover I found tiny mold spots growing all over! What's more, the same spots are on the metal surface of my Macbook Pro! I have an endless list of chemical sensitivities, so I can't clean with the normal stuff. I've been doing mold remediation with things like borax, hydrogen peroxide, tea tree oil, and anything else I can find that is pretty close to natural. What can I use to safely remove mold from the metal surface of my Macbook Pro? Should I presume that the internal parts are affected as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Mold? On a computer? WOW! Well I think isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) is probably the safest and most effective thing to use. It should be mentioned that you should remove the battery before cleaning it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Mold? On a computer? WOW! Well I think isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) is probably the safest and most effective thing to use. It should be mentioned that you should remove the battery before cleaning it.

It's also going to have to have time to dry completely.. since rubbing alcohol is mostly water (it's not pure methanol). I'd also suspect that ANY area that has air access is infected.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
To be honest...this is a real tough one. So many "nooks & cranny's" to clean. It almost sounds like this MacBook Pro should at least be partially disassembled before cleaning begins (at least separate the topcase).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I concur with the others. Plan on a complete disassembly if you want this done right. Maybe even see if this is offered somewhere as a service.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.