ftp download ends up as a link instead of the item.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Lion 10.7.3, iPhone 4S, iPad2
I am successfully connecting to an ftp server where my files are located. I have tried several ways of copying the files to my desktop as well as to an external drive, and still all the files end up being .lnk instead of .doc or .jpg etc.

I am running OSX on my iMac. I have tried both safari and firefox to do this as well, ending up with the easy thing through the finder then to ftp server way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Why not try a dedicated ftp app like CyberDuck? It's free and is far more flexible than the browser approach.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I now have cyberduck, and cannot seem to connect-- keeps saying error connection failed. Do I need to adjust something on my Mac? I want to take files stored on a server out in space and bring them to save on an external drive I have. The files being transferred are primarily jpgs, but also some docs originally saves in windows from an old pc. Maybe I am doing something wrong?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you entering the correct username and password for the FTP site? Do you have the other settings correct like passive or active mode?

What is the FTP server if you don't mind saying so I can see what they are after?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ugh-- It turns out that they had disabled my access, and now that it is enabled, everything works fine. I do see that i cannot download directly to my western digital external drive but it does work when I download to a folder on my mac desktop, then move over to the external drive. a pain, but it works! Thank you for trying to help me! I love this Mac Forum-- everyone is so helpful here!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Cool Beans.

Just a for what it's worth. Transmit FTP by Panic allows you to save anywhere. It IS a pay application though, but it's my favorite FTP App on any platform I have ever used!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.