How do you remove an OSx installer from an external hard drive?

Reaction score
Hello. I used an external hard drive to install OS X. Now every time I plug in this external HD it appears as the OSX installation DVD and nothing else. This is a 500 GB hard drive. I'd either like to wipe it clean so I can use it for storage... or it would be nice if I could keep the OSX installer some how (in case I have problems with Lion later or need to re-install), copy it somewhere else, then reformat the external HD so i can use it for both a PC and a mac. Right now it's unrecognizable on a PC and only shows as the OSX installation DVD on a mac. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Hello. I used an external hard drive to install OS X. Now every time I plug in this external HD it appears as the OSX installation DVD and nothing else. This is a 500 GB hard drive. I'd either like to wipe it clean so I can use it for storage... or it would be nice if I could keep the OSX installer some how (in case I have problems with Lion later or need to re-install), copy it somewhere else, then reformat the external HD so i can use it for both a PC and a mac. Right now it's unrecognizable on a PC and only shows as the OSX installation DVD on a mac. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much.
yes, the osx installer should be copied over to dvd, sd card, or usb drive.
you can reformat the 500gb hd for other purpose. Using large hard drive to store maybe just
6gb of data, you must be filthy rich.

OP
L
Reaction score
yes, the osx installer should be copied over to dvd, sd card, or usb drive.
you can reformat the 500gb hd for other purpose. Using large hard drive to store maybe just
6gb of data, you must be filthy rich.

Ok. Thanks. I can't seem to do anything with this DVD installer though. I don't see an option to burn it.

Not filthy rich at all ;P I tried to use a DVD first for the installer but it wasn't large enough, so I grabbed the first thing available (my large external) figuring I could easily remove the installer later. Guess not. I'm sorry if this seems obvious - but how would I copy the OS X installer onto a DVD or separate drive?

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.