app to control apple tv

Reaction score
I wish to get rid of my apple remote control and use my iPhone to control my apple TV. I have downloaded the remote app, however I can't find a way to use this remote to control the playing of movies on the Apple TV.

The app allows me to control what happens on the iMac but not the TV.

I wish to control the apple TV even with the iMac is off.

I have the last generation HDD type Apple TV, this be the reason.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
You need to pair it with the Apple TV and unpair it with the iMac (unless it is shut off when using the Apple TV). It will do everything the original remote did plus having a keyboard and being able to use gestures. You might have to "add library" or something. I cannot check as mine is not in front of me...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Question. do you have airplay enabled on the AppleTV? Does the old version of the Apple TV support Airplay? I use the Remote App on my iPhone to control iTunes on my Mini and my Apple TV2. Works great, but you do have to enable Airplay on everything.

Reaction score
You need to activate Home Sharing on your AppleTV and then enter the same username (Apple ID) and password for the Remote app on your iPhone. Once that's done you'll see the ATV in the Remote app and can select it.

OP
B
Reaction score
I can't seem to find home Sharing on the AppleTV. I have looked in Settings - Computers - Add shared iTunes Library. This then gives me a code to lock on to the iMac. I cannot see the ATV in the Remote app. Am I looking in the wrong place in the ATV menu?

Please advise

Reaction score
No worries - I just looked around. This should help:

Setting up Home Sharing for Apple TV (2nd generation)

...unfortunately this shows how to do it in the older OS version on the ATV. The new system looks quite a bit different. Is there an all/tile in the new ATV menu that says "Computers" or something like that? If you'd try to access this, the ATV should ask you to enable Home Sharing first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.