How to pick a flatbed scanner for Mac OS X Lion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini, 2007 Macbook, iPod Classic, iPod Touch 2nd generation, iPad 1
Mac OS X (and Linux for that matter) have been a wonderful experience since I made the switch from Windows, except when it comes to peripherals. It is difficult to make the right choice. I had little need of a scanner the past couple of years, that is until now.

I want to scan important personal documents (to have backups), 35 mm slides and photo negatives. This means I do not want the software to just support some basic features (like it sometimes does on Linux), but everything the scanner has to offer, just like it would on Windows. How to pick the right flatbed scanner? As an example for what I want to do with it and the price I am willing the pay for it, the HP Scanjet G3110 looks okay. Price is little over €100 (up to 140$).

Can you give me some advice?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
FWIW for documents it's hard to beat a sheet fed scanner like the Fujitsu s1300
Amazon.com: Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300 Instant PDF Sheet-Fed Mobile Scanner (PA03603-B005): Electronics

At $242 USD it's a little more than a flatbed, but the ease of use and results are worth it (I also have an Epson Perfection flatbed that now gets almost no use).

For slides and negatives, honestly, if they are worth digitizing they are worth getting good files and you have only IMO two good choices.

1) A real slide/negative scanner ~$900 USD
2) Or having them professionally scanned. My local photo shop scans mine for about 35 cents each.

EDIT: Actually, there is another choice that I haven't tried yet, getting a slide adapter for a DSLR. They are relatively cheap and some reviews say the results are good, if a bit of a PITR

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini, 2007 Macbook, iPod Classic, iPod Touch 2nd generation, iPad 1
$242 is way over budget. Might consider having the slides and negatives scanned at photo shop, but they are mostly holiday and family snapshots.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.