I just made the switch!!!

V

vicariousgeorge

Hello all,

I just purchased the Mac Mini (1.42 w/ combo drive; $599 model). I currently have a Dell 2005FPW connected to my PC. As luck would have it, the monitor has 2 inputs, so I can use it for both computers. I'm looking into purchasing the IOGear 2X1 peripheral switch, and connecting it to the monitor (which is also a 4 port USB 2.0 hub), so that I can use my keyboard, mouse, scanner, and printer with both computers.

If I'm wrong about these connections, please let me know. Other than that, is there anything I should know about my new computing adventure???

Regards,
John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
You've pretty much got a handle on things. Feel free to ask us questions if you run across any problems, but mostly just enjoy.

OP
L

litespeed59

Welcome!

That sounds like a great idea for basically using the USB hub on the monitor as a type of KVM switch . . . seems like it should work, though you will probably need to move the cable that feeds the USB hub on the Dell monitor from one computer to the other as you switch back and forth.

Of course, if you have the same experience that I had, you probably won't find too much use for that PC after a few weeks. I like the Mac Mini that much.

The 20" widescreen with a Mac Mini is a sweet setup. I bought a Mini specifically so that I could choose my display without the expense of a PowerMac. I'm using a 20" Cinema Display (same LCD panel as the 2005FPW), and the Mini tucks nicely beneath the monitor making a very clean, simple setup. I've also tried the Mini on my 2005FPW at work, and it works great.

Good luck and welcome to the club!
Trev

OP
V

vicariousgeorge

litespeed59 said:
...though you will probably need to move the cable that feeds the USB hub on the Dell monitor from one computer to the other as you switch back and forth. Trev

I don't think so...
That's the whole reason for the IOGear 2X1 peripheral USB switch.
Maybe I'm missing something?

Regards,
John

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.