Hello, just found this forum

Reaction score
Hi All, just found this forum, and already seeking help.., desperately !!
i have had this iMac for over 3 years up graded to Snow Leopard a year or so ago, had a hard drive fail under warranty, the tech loaded all my soft ware that came with the computer, plus Snow Leopard every thing loaded up except for iPhoto, it was on the original set up, can i get it back by reloading the original two disks ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can get it back by reinstalling Snow Leopard or by extracting it from your original disk with a utility called "Pacifist".

OP
A
Reaction score
thank you for your reply, are there any precautions i need to take when reinstalling the original disks or just pop them in and go for it ?

thank you.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
You should ALWAYS have a backup, but if you reinstall without reformatting (erasing) should be no issues.

OP
A
Reaction score
back again, i reinstalled the original disks last night, and now i find that i have lost everything i had previously, i thought i had a full back up on my WD external HD, i also thought i had it backed up using Time Machine, but this morning all my Bookmarks and Downloads are gone.

can they still be recovered ? if so, HOW?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Backed up to where? If the same volume you just reinstalled on, then your stuff is most likely gone.

OP
A
Reaction score
as mentioned previously..,i "thought i had a full back up on my WD external HD, i also thought i had it backed up using Time Machine,"

this is my first ever Mac, i also am not a rocket scientist when it comes to computers, i am from the old school where we had manuals that come with the computer, we could actually open paper pages with print on them and read detailed trouble shooting guides.., i am just being funny, but it reminds me of a city boy who would never eat eggs when he learned they come out of a chickens behind.

any way, on my WD back up i clicked the "Backup" button, it said "completed backup" (?) or something similar, does that "backup" or copy everything i had on my main HD at that time, e.g., History, Downloads, Bookmarks etc.

as for "Time Machine", i originally had it set to "Automatic", when i wanted to restore, i clicked on that button, and it asks for the disk, i did not install a disk, didn't know i had to,.., ya see, i don't know much, that is why i am here for, to learn, and hopefully there are some good teachers to help me learn. right now i think i am flying in an open cockpit airplane with frosted goggles.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.