iBook Screen Size

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" macbook pro core 2 duo, 2.16ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hdd. iPod nano 8gb. iPod Photo 20gb.
Okay, so basically there is no Apple Store near me for the next 300km, so I don't have the luxury of walking downtown to check out an iBook. I'm considering trading in my Dell Inspiron (less than five months old) for an iBook, mostly because it's my senior year and I'd really love to be able to use the iLife and iWorks software to make publications and dvd's and such. And they look great too.

Though the screen size (14 inch) is concerning for me. I really don't want an iBook if the screen seems cramped or hurts my eyes (coming from a 15 inch widescreen).

So, would someone be so extremely kind as tell me, the measurements of the 14" screen? This might seem weird, though if I were told the measurements, I could draw the exact square to see the size of it, and whether or not it's reasonable or it's too small for me to work comfortably.

Thanks a lot.

Reaction score
14.1 in is the diagonal measurement so...

Regular aspect displays are a 4:3 ratio, if a display was 4in wide and 3in tall it would measure 5in diagonal so using similar triangles...

5/3 = 14.1/X, Solve for X to get height

and

5/4 = 14.1/X, Solve for X to get width

So 11.28in wide and 8.46in tall

but really the thing you might want to worry about is actually screen resolution, what is the resolution on your current display? 1024x768 that is on the iBooks isn't exactly the greatest.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" macbook pro core 2 duo, 2.16ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hdd. iPod nano 8gb. iPod Photo 20gb.
Wow, you're an absolute genius. I mean that. What are you doing hanging around forums? Haha. Thanks a lot for that, you've been a huge help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, PowerMac G4
i have both a dell 15'' laptop, and a 12'' iBook. i almost like the iBook size better, cause it's small enough to take places, but they do a really nice job not making the desktop seem cluttered.

Reaction score
steidl705 said:
i have both a dell 15'' laptop, and a 12'' iBook. i almost like the iBook size better, cause it's small enough to take places, but they do a really nice job not making the desktop seem cluttered.

If I had to choose between 2 screens with the same resolution, I would prefer with the smaller one also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.