Killed my iPod Touch 4gen. Will they replace for free?

Reaction score
I dropped my iPod Touch 4gen and cracked the screen. I then attempted to replace the screen myself and managed to mess it up even more and even cracked the new screen (though not as bad as the original crack)

The warranty is expired but I read that if you have never gotten warranty work done on the device when it was under warranty, they will replace the device for free with a refurb. Is this true?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The warranty is expired but I read that if you have never gotten warranty work done on the device when it was under warranty, they will replace the device for free with a refurb. Is this true?

Not true. Out of warranty...is out of warranty. But occasionally (if you get the right person...sometimes...I say SOMETIMES)...you can get something repaired out of warranty.

But:

- dropping it & cracking the screen
- then trying to repair it yourself & breaking the replacement screen
- and then trying to get Apple to fix it out of warranty

...sounds like "3 strikes and you're out"!

- Nick

C

chas_m

Apple has a standard price for out-of-warranty replacement for iPhones, but I don't know about iPod Touch ... the price of the OOW iPhone replacement is much more than the cost of a new iPod Touch though so I doubt this will help you much.

Bottom line: looks like you'll be saving up for a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
They do have a fixed cost repair service

Apple - Support - Service Answer Center

But they also reserve the right to withhold this offer under certain circumstances:
"Service may not be available if your iPod has been damaged due to accident or abuse"

However slim the chance it's worth asking the question....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I am pretty sure that they are going to not cover the iPod. I think that they may replace it for 150 but you would be better off to fix it yourself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.