Upgrade to Lion problem HELP!

Reaction score
Sure hope someone can help me here. I just upgraded my iMac from Leopard to Lion today. When I try to open any of my Mac Word docs or even the Word software ( I have Microsoft office:mac student teacher edition 2004) I get this message now

You can't open the application Microsoft AutoUpdate because PowerPC applications are no longer supported.

What do I have to do to access my Word docs now?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sure hope someone can help me here. I just upgraded my iMac from Leopard to Lion today. When I try to open any of my Mac Word docs or even the Word software ( I have Microsoft office:mac student teacher edition 2004) I get this message now

You can't open the application Microsoft AutoUpdate because PowerPC applications are no longer supported.

What do I have to do to access my Word docs now?

You need an newer version of Microsoft Office. You're trying to run 2004 software on a 2011 OS. Office 2004 is just too old.

Another alternative could to try "Open Office" or "NeoOffice" (Google each for free download). One or both of these programs may allow you to open your files. They're both good programs...but if you REALLY prefer MS Office...then you need a newer version. Too much has changed since 2004.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for that reply! I was afraid of that. Time to pony up for new software then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 running 10.7.3
I am having the same problem with ALL my professional graphics software (Photoshop, Illustrator). After buying the new system, the funds are just NOT there for all new pro graphics software. Wish I had an extra $5K lying around...or I wouldn't still be using the older software in the first place. *sigh*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You can format and reinstall Snow Leopard, then reinstall your Adobe software.

OP
M
Reaction score
So what is it about Lion that is so different? Leopard isn't that old and it supported all the older software I had just fine?

C

chas_m

I can't believe I have to be the first to mention that TextEdit (free, included on every Mac) will open and save your Word documents just fine.

There's also LibreOffice (ugly but free) if you need more than what TE offers. There's also Pages ($20).

Not knocking MS Office 2011, best one since 5.1 IMO, but just pointing out options.

C

chas_m

So what is it about Lion that is so different? Leopard isn't that old and it supported all the older software I had just fine?

Leopard is pretty old in computer terms. It debuted in 2007, five years ago.

If you're running Leopard on an older machine with older software, then you are right: runs great.

But newer machines a) can't run Leopard at all and b) can support newer software and hardware (like iPads) with newer features.

It's not just "what's different about Lion," it's about the whole picture: more capable software, newer features, support for third-party newer features, improved security, etc etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme

Why did you upgrade if you were happy with Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 running 10.7.3
In my case, I just opened my new Mac out of the box, and I want/need Lion for my iPad (which we had to sync with my husband's Dell laptop to get started). I honestly have no interest in reformatting and downgrading. I am trying to work out a (legal) way to get myself the latest versions of my software, instead, such as fundraising through kickstarter. It was just $3000 (finally worked out the cost) I wasn't planning on spending.

My older Mac has been crashing for three years, and I have just dealt with it until we finally had enough money to get me a new system (1/3 of the cost of the software I now need). Now this. Yay. :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

It's not so much how Lion is so different...it's expecting an application from 2004 to work on a 2011 OS. Apple is not a company to keep doing the "same old thing" year after year. They are a VERY innovative company...and with innovation comes change.

Sometimes "change" means we need to update our hardware, software, and OS from time to time. Or...stick with what we have (hardware)..and if so...then be VERY VERY careful updating the OS in case the OS update may make older applications not "runable" (which has happened in this case).

In case you didn't know...there was a OS upgrade in between Leopard (OS 10.5) & Lion (OS 10.7)...and that was Snow Leopard (OS 10.6).

Office 2004 did work under OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard)...but only in emulation...so it was slow. When Lion (10.7) was released...support for the emulation program "Rosetta" was discontinued.

You had a good run with MS Office 2004 (you got something like 7-8 years out of it)...now it's time to upgrade. Of course...you could always reinstall Leopard back onto your computer (to regain Office 2004 compatibility)...but this may be a pain in the butt...and you better have some OS install disks for Leopard!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't believe I have to be the first to mention that TextEdit (free, included on every Mac) will open and save your Word documents just fine.

You're a genius Chas...what can we say (cue the "rimshot")!!!;)

http://instantrimshot.com/ (click the red button in the link)

Your suggestion (a good one) came only 5 hours after the OP posted their original question...so I wouldn't consider it somehow surprising that it took 5 hours later for the "textedit" suggestion. If it had been a week and 15-20 posts later that would be a different story!;)

There are many different options available to solve the OP's issue. Many good ones have already been mentioned...and the "textedit" suggestion added to the list of options. I'm sure there are other possibilities as well...and they still have not been mentioned...but most of the obvious & most helpful suggestions have already been made.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.